8. Food Talk

1014 Words excluding (A/N)~ I don't own MK/DC~

Written September 12 2019
Posted October 24 2019

Kaito sheepishly scratched his cheek, knowing that his answer wouldn't really impress the other "I never really had a good reason to make myself a better bed" He paused "I already had a bed so it never really registered as a priority" He flashed a grin, but since I doubt that you'll take the better bed once I'm done making it, I'll probably have to make two of them won't I?" He inquired, almost completely sure that he already knew the answer. Ginzo was a guest so he'd have to make sure that the other slept decently. It'd also give him less incentive to leave.

Ginzo scoffed "You're damn right!" He growled, there was no way that he'd take the best bed when it could be used by a child instead. He then looked at the food from the bag "Why'd you give me all of the food?" There was enough in there for at least two meals before they ran out of fillings for the bread.

Kaito blinked in surprise before a small smile creased his lips "Don't worry I've already eaten" He smirked "That's both your lunch and supper so don't eat it all at once" Ginzo frowned, why would Kaito have already eaten before him? It didn't seem like the kind of thing he'd do, though on that he wasn't really sure "Then what about your supper?" He argued, he was already planning to somehow get the boy to eat more. He obviously wasn't eating enough if his bones were easily visible.

"I'll find some vegetation or something in the forest" He grimaced "I don't really have much money left" Clothes were expensive, even the used ones had drained his funds quite quickly since he'd needed to get Ginzo a proper wardrobe. He'd also bought nice food for Ginzo, another blow to his scarce funds.

The inspector grit his teeth "Did you actually eat?" He asked, a little fearful that Kaito had forgone food for him. A bleeding heart was one characteristic he knew Kaito had, it'd shown through Kid's actions more than enough times for him to figure it out.

"Yeah, don't worry I already ate my fill" Kaito replied honestly, though he had snatched abandoned meals from mall tables and a few things from the garbage in said mall that weren't too gross looking. They were emptied at least once a day, so if he was lucky he could occasionally score something nice. It'd been a compromise of his, he'd have more Kid funds if he ate other people's discarded food. He couldn't skip meals, that would hinder both his thought process and his physical abilities. Kid always needed to be in top form at his heists. He didn't do that often, but Ginzo's unexpected arrival had thrown his meal plans out the window.

Ginzo gave Kaito a scrutinising look, he wasn't really sure whether he should believe him or not "Then what did you eat?"

"I ate other's discarded food scraps" Kaito replied, not really ashamed by his actions. He used to be, but now he just rationalised to himself that it was for the greater good. He was getting enough nutrients to get by. He held up a hand to hold off the unexpected outburst "Don't yell at me for telling the truth, or I'll just end up not being truthful regarding my eating habits" He'd never really liked being yelled at. Though it's fine when he's Kid, he usually deserves it when he's Kid after all. 

The inspector met Kaito's gaze for a few moments before sighing. Kaito was right, he could have easily lied to him "I really don't like that" He gritted out "But I don't really have a say do I?" He huffed, annoyed that he'd been given good food while Kaito had eaten someone else's scraps. He was supposed to be the adult here right?

Indigos narrowed "Don't worry, you only got nice food today because you've suddenly been thrown in a sucky position" He snickered "I can't afford to feed us for the next day or so, so we'll both be eating leftovers tomorrow' He gave Ginzo a reassuring pat on the head "Don't worry, I know how to get the good stuff. It's not nearly as bad as you're probably imagining it to be" He made a cross over his heart "Thief's honour" He promised.

His response was a leer "How much is a thief's honour even worth?" Ginzo drawled, opening the bread bag. He knew that to Kaito, it probably meant a lot, but he was feeling a little spiteful at the moment. Kid had done a lot in the past to make sure his honour wasn't tainted in a way the thief didn't approve of.

Kaito made a false pained sound in the back of his throat "You know very well that this thief's honour is not to be trifled with!" He huffed, not really offended in the least. He'd quickly grown a thick skin in regard to insults being thrown at him once he'd taken up the mantle. Ginzo wasn't exactly kind when in the heat of the moment, he'd learned so many new words from the man these past few years.

Ginzo nodded, finishing up the sandwich he's put together during their conversation "Why didn't you buy enough meat and cheese for the rest of the bread?" He inquired, surely it would have made more sense in the long run.

"We can't do things like that until the winter, the food spoils too soon otherwise" He grimaced "I made that mistake early on" Indigos gleamed "Though by then, I'm hoping that your situation is sorted out" He really didn't want the inspector to have to live through that, especially since he was physically younger than himself.

"And what are you expecting your situation to be like by then?" He inquired, genuinely curious.

The thief pursed his lips "By then the syndicate would be defeated..." His voice trailed off as he thought for a moment "So that means I'd have either died and taken the syndicate down with me, or I'll be in jail if I somehow survive" Kaito finished.

Me: Ick, ick, ick! Poor Kaito

What did your parents/guardian do to punish you when you were little?

•^• berry had to watch as her mom decapitated her stuffed animals

Anyways~ Hope you enjoyed zee chappy~