BCH. 4 - Zekaj and Zekai

Zekai and Zekaj, Age 14

Young Zekai sat along the railing, his back against the castle as he read from his book about the earth. He was always fascinated with it and its various animals and its beautiful landscapes.

All he had were drawings to look at from demons who had been summoned to the surface and drew what they saw.

Hell itself had various landscapes to explore but he had been to many with his family. There wasn't much left to see in hell sadly. Zekai loved exploring but until he somehow made it to earth, he was stuck in the cold halls of the castle at the Edge of Hell.

Zekai didn't have many friends, just himself and his books, and Zekaj sometimes too. It was hard to make friends at the Edge of Hell as many people were only looking to get close to him due to his royal status.

Zekaj and him had a rough friendship that had been healing throughout the past few years. Zekaj being the firstborn had claim to the throne his father currently held, Zekai would only if Zekaj refused it or Zekaj passed away.

The throne never interested Zekai, it wasn't something he wanted at all. Zekaj. with the whispers of town folks, had it in his head that Zekai wanted it. It turned into a rivalry between the two that only stopped after their mother, Caroline, locked them in a room and made them make up.

Zekai was different from most demons, something he couldn't even help that genetically he was born with. Zekai was born with a second set of arms right above the normal pair.

Many demons didn't have a problem with double arms, but many, mainly the older demons, didn't consider it to be fine. They considered it impure, a genetic mutation that should be kept hidden at all times and looked down upon. Zekai never saw it that way, but the whispers of his father's council made him think poorly of them.

His father, The Void Keeper, had a council, a roundtable if you will, of peers that he had to help with the many tasks he had. Zekai wasn't very close with any.

He kept them hidden whenever he wasn't alone and let them out when he wasn't. His upper set could fade into shadows and made him look like a normal demon. It was a well-kept secret between him, his brother, and his parents.

Zekai had another thing many would consider wrong with him, just this wasn't physical but mental. It was like an itch he couldn't scratch in the back of his head that a part of him was missing. Like when you lose something but can't even remember what you lost.

The demon continued reading his book along the railing of his room's balcony when he heard a noise come from inside his room. Zekai stepped off the balcony and held his book in one of his upper hands and peered into his room.

It looked normal, it was lit up by a couple of candles and his door was still closed. He peered all-around before two pale gold eyes appeared in the shadows and darted towards him.

Zekai watched as the crazed face of Zekaj ran towards him from the shadows screaming bloody murder.

"WHAT THE FUC-!" Zekai screamed before Zekaj slammed into him and the two tumbled to the ground.

The slightly-older demon, Zekaj, was stronger than Zekai and pinned him down quickly. Zekaj had pinned one set of arms under the other so he couldn't use them.

"Got you!" Zekaj laughed maniacally.

"What are you doing!" Kai screamed at his brother.

"This!" Zekaj stood up and threw Zekai over his shoulder, holding him in a tight grip. "I'm throwing you in!"

Zekai looked behind him, forward for Zekaj, and saw Zekaj was bringing him closer to the railing, with the endless void lying beyond. The four-armed demon kicked and pushed at Zekaj who started stumbling trying to bring him closer.

"Stop resisting!" Kaj yelled.

"Don't throw me into the fucking void!" Kai screamed.

"I'm not going to throw you into the fucking void I was just kiddin-" Zekaj stopped as he tripped and lost balance.

"Woah Woah woaaahh!" Zekaj screamed as the two tumbled into the railing and went right over the side.

The two young demons screamed as they fell deeper and deeper into the endless void. They both looked up and watched as the Edge of Hell got farther and farther out of sight.

Zekai started screaming for his dad as they fell farther and farther before stopping in place as he felt something holding him up by his right upper arm.

The two were launched upwards before they saw the familiar island their castle was on getting closer and closer until they were being held up in front of the grand balcony.

Black void tentacles held Zekai up by his upper arm and one held Zekaj up by an ankle. They looked at the balcony and a very angry looking Aegon stood watching them, his arm extended towards them and dark magic seeping from his hand.

"Well?" He asked, expecting an explanation.

Zekaj was the first to speak up, "It was Kai's fault,"

"Like hell it was!" Kai yelled at him. "You broke into MY room and tried to throw ME into the void!"

"Well you made me stumble and we both fell into the void!" Kaj yelled.

"Because you picked me up and wouldn't let me down!"

"BOYS," Aegon yelled, silencing them both. The two younger demons sheepishly looked at their father's stern face. "You two need to be more careful around the void. Next time I might not be quick enough to save you, idiots,"

Before Aegon had the chance to let them down his mate came barreling to the balcony screaming, "My babies! Aegon what on earth are you doing!"

Aegon turned to his loving mate, eyes wide, realizing the scene did not depict him the best.

Zekaj saw it as an opportunity, "Dad's trying to kill us!" He exclaimed. "I can feel the blood rushing to my head!"

"If you let any more in you'll get dumber," Zekai snided at Kaj. Zekaj growled back and tried to attack him but was too far away.

Aegon quickly set the kids down and tried to explain the situation, "They were roughhousing and fell into the void and I had to pull them out!"

Caroline had none of it and put her arms around the kids and left the balcony, turning her head around giving him the "We'll talk about this later" look. Aegon sighed following in their footsteps.

"Dad was telling the truth," Zekai whispered to his mom.

"I know," she smiled.

Caroline felt her arm being lifted off of Zekai as Aegon pushed in between the two, putting his own arm around Zekai's shoulder and holding Caroline's hand in the other.

A/N:

Thanks for reading!  It was a small bonus chapter but I wanted to delve a bit into Zekai's backstory as well as release this as it was a reward for Inksgiving all the way back in November.

Make sure to check me out on Patreon.  Patreon.com/Mek_14 Chapter 35 is up early right now and Ch. 36 will be soon following suit!

-MEK