Ch. 56 - Rebond

Part 4 - Living with the Demons

Zekaj knew something was off the second he had touched Hunter.

The normal warmth that would fill his body every time they touched wasn't there. Hunter was cold, way too cold for a human.

Zekaj put his hands on Hunter's chest and began CPR, praying to any god who was listening to help him. He would do anything for Hunter to be ok.

Zekaj's brother, Zekai, kneeled down and pale gold magic flowed off his hands.

"There are wounds all over his body," Zekai said, as the magic surrounded Hunter's body, healing all of the wounds on him.

The brothers were shocked as the bond between Zekaj and Hunter left their chests and the once golden bond from Hunter had darkened black. Zekaj held his own part of the bond in his hand and the golden magic still flowed, just not to Hunter. The connection needed to be reestablished as soon as possible.

It would be impossible for them to force it together themselves. They had to get Hunter stable before it would quietly reattach itself.

The doors to the dining hall pushed open as Aegon and Caroline, Zekaj and Zekai's parents, entered the room.

"Oh my god," Caroline said as she rushed to her son's side. Both her and Aegon had recognized the boy on the ground as their future son-in-law.

The polaroids they had been given showed a boy with more life in his body. The Hunter here had no color to his skin and was frailer than he was in the photos. Clearly the effects of mate withdrawal.

"Mom what do I do?" Zekaj cried as he continued to apply CPR and Zekai used as much magic he could to heal Hunter.

"Zekaj, first you need to calm down. Zekai, go to the lab and in one of the drawers is an Infernal Brimstone Band, it'll help bring his temp up to where it needs to be. Hurry."

"Got it," Zekai said in a flash of shadow and he was nowhere to be seen.

Caroline took Zekai's spot and began using her own magic to flood Hunter's body with healing magic, and looked at her son. Aegon took Hunter's wrist and positioned his fingers to watch for a pulse.

It was strange to see Zekaj cry like this. She was ready to as well. For if they couldn't bring Hunter back, Zekaj would soon follow in his tracks.

Neither could survive without the other, especially if one had died. Hunter and Zekaj were lucky they had even lasted this long.

Caroline knew that the combination of whatever Hunter had done to pierce the veil and make it to hell and the freezing cold temps of hell had finally taken its toll on his body. Hunter was going through hypothermic shock.

She only knew this because some of the demons from regions like the Earthen Peak had trouble with the cold at the Edge of the Hell. Whenever they would travel to the seventh ring they would bring Infernal Brimstone bands to keep their bodies warm. They needed the same for Hunter now.

"Zekaj," Caroline said, "We need to warm him up, alright?"

Zekaj nodded as the tears continued to blur his vision and drip down on his soulmate.

"You need to warm your body up, alright?"

"I am warm! He likes my warmth," Zekaj sobbed.

"Maybe on Earth but not here, your body adapts to whatever environment it's in. I've told you before about the origin of Void demons right?" Caroline asked.

Zekaj nodded again and said, "Inferno Demons were tricked into coming to the void and were corrupted."

"Yes exactly son," Caroline smiled. "Your body is too cold for Hunter but you can make it warm up!"