Ch. 39 - Cold

Part 3 - Losing a Demon

Hunter woke up groaning.

It felt like 20 cinder blocks were weighing down on his chest. Hunter continued to groan as he tried to sit up in bed. Did Zekaj lay on top of him all night again? He swung his feet off the bed and rubbed his eyes.

Where was Zekaj?

And why did he hurt everywhere?

Hunter could tell Zekaj wasn't in his head, and he wasn't in his room. Was he in the bathroom?

One step was all it took for Hunter's legs to give out as he collapsed to the floor. With a thud, Hunter groaned into the carpet.

Hunter gripped the carpet and saw sand instead. Looking up he expected to see his room but he saw his soulmate being dragged into the portal.

It was then that Hunter remembered.

Zekaj was gone.

His soulmate was gone.

The only person who loved him was gone.

Hunter couldn't hold back the tears as he blinked and suddenly he was back in his room. The vision caused a flood of memories from the events at the institute.

The mage gripped the side of his desk and lifted himself back up. He was in his room, that was a good start. Hunter wasn't in jail so they must think he's innocent? Hunter wasn't sure.

He wasn't wearing the same clothes from that day. All he had on were bandages around his chest he failed to notice earlier and a pair of sweatpants on.

Hunter pushed back one of the bandages and saw his chest was covered in bright red burns that zigzagged all across his chest and parts of his arm. Letting go of the bandage caused Hunter to groan in pain when they touched his chest.

Hunter slowly held his chest and stumbled towards the window and looked out.

His car was there as well as his father's. His mother and sister were out apparently.

There was no way he was going to be able to sneak down into the basement and summon Zekaj back. Especially in this state. 

And he wasn't completely out of the woods yet, he had no idea if he was going to be questioned and then taken to jail or anything of the sort. Hunter was terrified and his support system was in Hell.

Zekaj was gone, he kept telling himself.

He had, at the moment, no one in his corner. Beside himself.

His father separated him from his mate. He didn't know why he did and how he knew.

Max, who could've possibly told his father that Zekaj existed. He thought they had an understanding but he wasn't sure.

And that was honestly it. His mom and sister obviously hated him. He thought his dad was coming around, but he was proven wrong. 

Fuck me for trusting my family to not be a piece of shit for once, Hunter thought.

Hunter sighed before stumbling towards his bedroom door. Opening the door, the mage looked in both directions before quickly slipping out into the bathroom. Hunter turned on the light and looked at himself in the mirror.

He looked terrible. Hunter saw the dark circles under his eyes that made it look like he hadn't slept in 10 months. His dirty blonde hair was getting close to needing a cut and he shockingly had a tiny bit of a beard growing.

Hunter didn't like how the beard made him look like his father. If his father was also younger and sleep-deprived.

And also shocked himself with lightning.