Ch. 47 - Greyrith, Wisconsin

Hunter stared at the wall.

He was trying to summon the courage to shadowwalk all the way to Wisconsin.  It was a far trip that he wasn't even sure he could make it to.  It was miles away and the farthest he had attempted alone was outside of town.

His father had left for work 10 minutes ago and he knew he needed all the time he could get.  So with that, Hunter ran forward and felt his body become enveloped by shadows.

The cold darkness of the void enveloped him as he kept one place in mind.  Greyrith Wisconsin.  With every push he felt his body grow weaker and weaker.  It was a struggle to push on as he felt a slight warmth on the tips of his fingers.

The bright lights of the sun hit his face as he stumbled to the ground of an alleyway.  Hunter's eyes adjusted to the light as he took in his surroundings.

Based on pictures he looked at earlier, it seemed to be the right place.  The only difference was the layer of snow that covered the ground.  That Hunter was now laying in.

It had yet to snow in Maine, but he knew it was coming.  It was no shocker that Wisconsin had snow, he was just hoping it wouldn't.  But when did anything go the way he wanted?

Hunter stood up and saw he was outside of a diner.  The one he was shooting for was called "Betty's Diner" and had direct access to the woods nearby which was perfect.  Somewhere deep inside them law the portal to the Spirit World.

The walk to the entrance was short and it gave him just the right amount of time to shake the snow off of him.

The inside of the Diner had a small section of maps that was of the surrounding area.  Hunter looked around and saw a woman sitting at the front table.

As he got closer he noticed something, mage marks along her arms.

"Hey buddy, my name's Charlotte but everyone calls me Cherry,"  Cherry said.  It made sense as her hair was a dark auburn color that he assumed was the source of her nickname.  "Now I've never seen you around her so what is a boy like you doin' in this neck of the woods?"

Hunter pulled out the map he got from the stand and opened it.

"Um, I'm looking for the Spirit World portal and I know it's in this area somewhere.  I just don't have an exact loca-"  Hunter was interrupted by the lady.

"That portal is dangerous buddy, you shouldn't be goin to it alone,"  She suggested.

"I'm only popping in to take some photos, I've done my research."

"Well, you didn't get this from me, but,"  Cherry pulled a pen out from her hair and circled on the map.

"This is the diner,"  She said.  "And this is the portal."

Cherry circled on the map the location of the portal. It was south-west of the diner seemingly a simple 20 minutes away.

"Now if you run into any pesky wolves out in the woods you don't tell em I showed you where it was, alright?"  Cherry asked.

"Thank you,"  Hunter smiled shyly.

His eyes caught a frame with a family photo in it.  None of them were of Cherry but a family of a man with brown hair, a women with black hair and a son that hide the same matching hair as the man.

"That's the alpha and his son,"  Cherry spoke up.  "Cade's the lil' one.  He's going to be running this pack one day.  Him and Teddy are either going to be great alphas and betas or burn it to the ground.  But don't go telling anyone I said that now."

"I won't,"  Hunter laughed.  "Thank you again."

"Don't mention it buddy,"  Cherry said.

Hunter took off across the street and into the woods.  The ground was covered in one to two inches of snow that wasn't too hard to walk in.  He was already tired from shadow walking so this barely affected him.