Ch. 74 - Tour Guide from Hell

The black portal opened, causing an earthquake less powerful than the times Hunter had opened one before to ripple through Castle Voidborne.

"Not feeling as destructive this time, babes?" Zekaj said as he had his arms wrapped around Hunter and was resting his head on the mage's shoulder.

"I'm just trying my best not to bring this place crumbling down," Hunter laughed, focusing on keeping the portal open.

The portal made a whooshing sound as a body stepped out of the portal, nearly falling over.

Hunter caught his dad who pulled down the scarf.

"It's cold," The older mage said, the condensation leaving his mouth.

Zekaj forcingly grabbed Jaxon's arm and slipped the band on it. The mage immediately felt its warmth and started to take his winter coat off.

"We told you it was cold idiot," Zekaj snarled. "Maybe you should have layered more."

"Zekaj," Hunter said, trying to keep his mate from being rude. They had talked about this and Zekaj promised to be civil. If this was civil, Hunter would hate to see what he'd say about his father at his meanest.

The demon rolled his eyes and walked them to Jaxon's room for the night. Zekaj grumbled the whole way and both humans chose to just ignore him.

An awkward silence filled the halls as all that could be heard were the wheels of Jaxon's suitcase and the flickering of the hellfire sconces. Zekaj was in front of the two humans who followed behind him.

Whispering to his son, Jaxon asked, "What are the chances the room's heavily trapped in more ways than one?"

"He wouldn't, Zekaj is..." Hunter looked at his mate walking in front of him who was side-eyeing them as he continued forward.

"Zekaj, did you trap my dad's room?" Hunter asked, sighing.

Zekaj didn't say anything, only shrugged.

"Zekaj," Hunter said, asking again.

This time the demon looked back again, only winking.

"This reminds me, I need to update my will..." Jaxon said to himself.

"Hunter doesn't need your money."

"Never said he did, but there are things I'd like him to have. Some family heirlooms and stuff," Jaxon said as Zekaj led them upstairs.

"Wouldn't you rather give those to Hannah?" Hunter asked, looking down at his feet as they stepped onto the next floor.

"I I- mean I can if you don't want them. I just thought you- you would," Jaxon stuttered.

Hunter tried not to be a little excited that his father would rather give something to him rather than his sister. It made all of this more real to him. That his father chose him over his own wife and daughter.

"I'm sure there's a part of the basement we can throw that junk in," Zekaj muttered.

"You can't just throw them into a basement to collect dust. They're family heirlooms! We've kept them for so long it'd be offensive to our answers."

"Fuck em'" Zekaj said, stopping in front of a door.

"Is he always like this?" Jaxon asked.

"No, he's just grumpy," Hunter chuckled, the demon scowling at him as he pushed the door open.

Before either could notice, Zekaj swiped his finger's destroying the traps he had set around the room.

The void demon wasn't happy that Hunter's father was here. This was his and Hunter's place, he didn't want someone who hurt them, whether it was intentional or not, to be here. Maybe someday he would be less mad at Jaxon, but it sure as hell wasn't today.