Ch. 72 - Previously On

"I have no idea who you're talking about," Jaxon said flustered. His face was flush with the bright red.

"Liar!" Zekaj laughed after pulling Hunter's hand away from his mouth. He was having way too much fun with this. Sitting up in his seat, the void demon continued, "Volveth told us everything, just admit it."

"I don't even know of this Volvie-" Jaxon's eyes went wide at what he said. "Fuck, Volveth, I meant Volveth."

"VOLVIE? YOU CALLED HIM VOLVIE?" Zekaj burst out in laughter.

Jaxon was completely flustered, covering his face with his hands in embarrassment.

"Fine, you got me." He put his hands up in self-defense. "But we were only friends. Nothing more than that ever happened."

"Mhm sure," Zekaj snickered.

"But what exactly happened?" Hunter asked, trying to keep Zekaj from going on and on about Jaxon and Volveth possibly having more than a friendship. "Volveth had mentioned how you two got into a contract but not how you got separated."

Jaxon looked away, then back at Hunter, staring right into his eyes.

"Volveth and I were good friends, probably the bestest friend I've ever had." Jaxon sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "He made me think there was more to life than just the coven and having to be its leader. Constantly studying magic, law, and everything was all my life was before him."

It was nice to think about all of the fun they had back when they were still friends. Jaxon missed him dearly but was terrified of seeing him again.

"With you, especially you Hunter, I wanted you to be able to have options. Not have to do anything with magic unless you wanted to. I see now how badly I failed at this and should've been at your side when you got older. I should've taken the time to teach you everything but you were always a closed-off kid." Jaxon said. "You got that from me, I wasn't very into socializing and kept to myself too. I'd sit in my room all day reading books and everything like you did."

Hunter spoke up, trying to ignore how similar him and his father were, "Volveth had kind of inferred that you didn't even want to be leader, that grandma and grandpa forced you?"

Jaxon balled up his hands and squeezed them into fists before, calming himself down.

"Not forced, so to speak, but heavily pushed for me to. I don't think force is the right word for this..."

"Can't be forced if you don't put up a fight," Zekaj shrugged. "Volveth said you're a pushover and obviously nothing has changed."

Hunter elbowed Zekaj, who nudged him right back.

"Well Volveth left, your mother got pregnant, and then she got pregnant again. It would have been dumb in the long run if I hadn't taken the job. It pays well, was able to keep you kids happ-, okay, and a nice quiet simple life."

"But was it what you wanted?" Hunter asked.

Jaxon breathed in, "I didn't know what I wanted then. And I don't know what I want now."

"That sucks," Zekaj said bluntly.

"Thanks," Jaxon said sarcastically back, who in return got a glare from Zekaj.

"But still, what even happened?" Hunter asked. "Volveth wouldn't tell us."

"Well," Jaxon started. "Volveth and I's contract was that he would be my friend, wouldn't pull any tricks and the final bit. Wouldn't harm me."

"And fix your bop it," Zekaj mentioned.

"And the bop it," Jaxon smiled to himself.

*****