Ch. 45 - Study Sesh (Reprise)

Jaxon wasn't home when Hunter returned home from school.

It had been a day since their trip to the Institute.  He hadn't seen his father since he went into his room when they got home and never came out.

Hunter wasn't upset about it.  He was more worried than anything.  His father was all he had at the moment and he didn't want to lose him just yet. 

He knew the day would come when his father would turn his back on him, but just for this moment, he wanted to believe his father was on his side.

Closing his bedroom door, Hunter dropped his book bag on the floor and sat at his desk.  Hunter had a lot of studying up to do.  Not for school, but for his own personal needs.

Emrys had mentioned while at the institute that the City of Amet could have possibly been a gateway to everywhere, possibly including Hell.

It was the only lead he had for a way to the underworld.  Hunter felt like he was grasping at straws, well a single straw.  He had nothing else.  Just the possibility of a portal or something.  He didn't even know what he would be looking for.

Hunter decided to just read from where he left off.

The halls of the Amet Castle, and surrounding buildings not taken by the ground, lie empty of every book, paper, picture.  As if someone took its history and hid it from the world.

Wild spirits roam the halls, mostly peaceful until provoked.  After a scholar unearthed a hidden note scratched into the back of a dresser, a spirit immediately busted through the room and ripped the wood off of the dresser and disappeared through the floor.

It's as if the spirits have been commanded to remove any piece of knowledge that could inform us of what the spirit world was like thousands of years ago.

Hunter was confused, how exactly did Emrys get information on the spirit?  He decided to just continue reading.  He didn't have time to contemplate whether or not Emrys was lying.

Many staircases that would lead farther down into the castle have been blocked off by dirt.  If anyone attempts to dig down, spirits attack and the premises have to be evacuated until they calm down.

What secrets could lie hidden beneath our feet?  Could they be so dangerous that they had to have been buried deep to keep from being discovered?

The spirits keep a very tight check on the castle, things moved by scholars are always moved back within the same minute.  This doesn't seem to anger spirits at all.

Nothing can be taken from the grounds without upsetting the spirits.

After a while Hunter came upon a passage that gave the location to the City of Amet.  Hunter was told it was somewhere in Wisconsin, but apparently it's moved multiple times in the past.

The City of Amet was first reported to be found through a spirit world portal in England.  It's long since moved but records and photos show that it has only just moved.

No country can take claim over the spirit world as its not considered claimable territory.  The spirit world is unclaimable as any buildings built can anger spirits immensely.  No known weapons can fight them.

Most scholars can get away with small tents if they aren't tacked into the ground too roughly and gifts are left out for spirits.

Amet now lies within a small wolf-run city in central wisconsin.  Greyrith, home of the wolf pack by the same name, is a small city home to a wide range of wolves, mages and humans.  It's a relatively peaceful pack that keeps to its own.