Ch. 42 - Snow and Sorries

The early winter snow had fallen during the night and Hunter woke up Saturday evening to a yard filled with snow. It was almost blinding as his eyes adjusted to the frosty white ground.

Hunter opened his closet and put on a long-sleeved shirt and a sweatshirt that still smelt like Zekaj. It was a couple of sizes too big but he didn't care. It was nice.

It seemed like a nice day to go out for a walk. It looked beautiful outside and Hunter enjoyed the snow. It reminded him of Zekaj.

Almost 2 years ago the two got in their first snowball fight that ended with Zekaj pelting him over and over again with snowballs and finally crushing him in the snow.

Hunter smiled at the memories of Zekaj laying on top of him. The twang of pain in his heart came along with it, causing the mage to grasp at his chest.

The bandages had come off a week ago after his wounds seemed healed enough. He still bore the red scars along his chest that would take a couple more months to heal.

As Hunter slowly made his way downstairs, he saw his father sitting on the couch drinking coffee at his laptop. Hunter hoped he could sneak out without his father noticing. 

He just wanted an hour to himself. Hunter knew it felt weird to think that after he spent part of his life pining for his attention. But his father had been all over him for the past week and he just wanted some alone time.

Hunter got to the door and leaned down to put his shoes on, hissing at the pain through his teeth the burns caused. Jaxon turned his head towards the sound and saw his son was about to leave.

"Where are you going?" Jaxon said, setting aside his laptop and standing up.

"Out," Hunter said.

"Are you going for a walk? If you give me a second I can put my boots on and go with you,"

"I'll be fine alone," Hunter stood up and was about to head out the door when his father stopped him.

"You really shouldn't be going out by yourself like this Hunter," Jaxon said sincerely.

"I said I'd be fine," Hunter snapped.

Jaxon stepped back shocked to see his son so angry. Hunter quickly calmed down and looked down at his feet.

"Alright," Jaxon paused. "Just don't be out for too long. If you get tired don't hesitate to call me. I'll come to pick you up."

"Ok," Hunter whispered, quickly walking out the door before his father could change his mind. Hunter took his first step on the snow-covered sidewalk.

The snow crunched underneath his feet as the light wind hit his face. The whole town was covered in snow besides the few people who had already shoveled their sidewalks and cleared their cars.

As much as Zekaj acted like the hot weather was his favorite, Hunter knew the cold windy days were his favorite. Hunter assumed the cold reminded him of home, the edge of the void was known for its freezing cold temperatures. Ones only demons could survive.

It was always nice to curl up by Zekaj on the cold days since he exuded so much heat. Before they were even mates they cuddled a lot. Way more than two friends typically did. Hunter laughed at how blind the two were when it came to realizing their feelings.

Hunter missed waking up to Zekaj's warm body behind his own. Or his head resting on Zekaj's chest and Zekaj laying on top of him.

The collar of the sweatshirt still smelt like Zekaj and it was one of the only things keeping him going. All of Zekaj's clothes still smelled like him. The musky cologne smell that he always had that Hunter loved.