Ch. 44 - Live Like a Shadow

Emrys swiped his key card and with one swift push, the heavy door to the private section was open.

"Fun fact," Emrys said. "Before I started working here Graham had to go light up all of these torches by hand. I showed him my first day a spell that would light them all up whenever someone walks in. Saves fuel too and is a lot easier." Emrys turned to Hunter and smiled.

"So you're a fire mage?" Hunter asked.

"Nope!" Emrys popped the p.

"What kind of mage are you then?"

"Don't worry about it," Emrys winked.

Hunter decided to not push for more info. Emrys was suspicious but he was helpful so far. Maybe Emrys wasn't suspicious and Hunter was just on edge. He wasn't sure.

Emrys pulled out a chair at a small table in the center of the private section and sat down.

"Can we go somewhere more private?" Hunter didn't want anyone to overhear their conversations.

Emrys looked around the library before his eyes fell back on Hunter, "No one else is in here."

"Oh," Hunter said, sitting down.

"So what were you looking for that is dangerous enough it's in the spooky private section," Emrys smiled wiggling his fingers at Hunter like he was casting a spell.

"I need to summon a demon his name is uh Zekai,"

Emrys raised an eyebrow, "Zekaj's brother?"

"You know who Zekaj is?" Hunter asked.

"Well he's only one of the most dangerous demons, right?" Emrys said. "Why would you want to summon his brother?"

"I uh," Hunter thought quickly and didn't know what to say. He finally spit out the first thing that came to mind. "I was dared by two wolves."

"Dared?" Emrys held his raised eyebrow, tilting his head now.

"Yeah," Hunter said.

"Alright then, well the void demon section is this way." Emrys stood up and waved his hand for Hunter to follow him.

Hunter used all of his strength to stand up, which was very little. The stairs and socialization had tired him out.

Hunter found Emrys looking behind the books on the shelf like he was missing something. He quickly looked over at Hunter when he turned the corner and pulled out a book.

"Well there's this one with all known demon summoning marks and," Emrys stood up and picked a book off the top shelf, his long-sleeved shirt riding up his chest. In the dark of the library, Hunter thought he saw some bright tattoos on the sides of his abs.

If Zekaj were here he'd definitely be trying to fight Emrys because of Hunter's accidental wandering eyes. He didn't mean to check Emrys out like that.

"You're lucky Arthurs not here or he'd definitely try to fight you," Emrys chuckled.

Hunter's cheeks went bright and he sputtered, "I wasn't checking you out I just-"

"I know, I know," Emrys's chuckle deepened. "I can tell you already have your eyes on someone else."

Emrys patted Hunter on the shoulder and headed back towards the table. Hunter stood there incredibly embarrassed until Emrys poked his head around a bookshelf.

"Coming?" He asked.

"Yep!" Hunter shouted in surprise.

"Hey! No yelling in the library!" Emrys laughed.