Ch. 26 - Voidbornes

Hunter skimmed through book after book trying to find anything on demons that seemed useful. Currently, he was holding three books, Void Demons, Demonic Vessels, and Demon's and Their Soulmates. 

               With the first book, Hunter would hopefully be able to understand why Zekaj was the way that he was. Hunter smiled to himself at the thought of Zekaj. It had been 20 minutes since he had last saw him and the itch to be back with him only grew. Hunter was finished going through the section on void demons when something caught his eye.

               It was an old-looking book with a thick silver metallic binding. The light from the torches had hit the metal perfectly that Hunter had happened to notice it. The book sat against the wall of the shelf and another book, almost completely hidden from view.

               Hunter gripped the cold metal of the book and pulled it off the shelf. The front had no title and the binding too had none. The book itself was clad in a dark violet, almost black, leather. Hunter pulled out his phone and shined the flashlight on it and examined it.

               Hunter could tell that it was old and had been in the library for many years. The book was thick in size but still could fit in one hand. Hunter went to open it, but it didn't budge. Hunter turned to the opposite edge of the book from the binding and saw a lock keeping the book shut. A silver keyhole lock kept it sealed shut and the key was nowhere to be found.

Hunter carried the book with him to hopefully get Zekaj to break the lock with his strength. Zekaj was always trying to show off to Hunter and this was an opportunity for him to do so.

The Human made his way up the stairs to the private reading room and entered to a worried demon, staring at the sudden opening of the door..

"Your parents are going to die." Zekaj spit out suddenly. Hunter's eyes filled with worry and he spoke.

"Huh?" Hunter sat at a chair by Zekaj but was pulled off it immediately and onto Zekaj's lap.

The books he had yet to set down, tumbled out of his hands and onto the table but one still fell. Zekaj dug his face into Hunter's shoulder and wrapped his arms around Hunter's waist.

"When we mate, you will be immortal," Zekaj said, "Your parents will die but you won't."

Hunter felt Zekaj squeeze him closer and closer like Zekaj was scared he was going to dart out of the room screaming.

"I opened this book and it mentioned how you take my aging speed, which is stopped," Zekaj spoke into Hunter's shoulder so most his voice was muffled. "I don't age, I'm stuck at eighteen unless we have a kid, it's confusing."

"Oh," Hunter whispered, Zekaj continued.

"We can have kids but not like belly baby kids it'd be a weird ritual-egg baby thing and even then, a mini-Zekaj running around would be hell!  If we did this, we'd age only another like 18 years until our aging stopped, and then we'd be stuck at like 40 for eternity. That's disgusting."

"Zekaj you're rambling,"

"Like would I even look good at 40? I look fucking amazing at 18. Isn't it downhill from here?"

"Zekaj!" Hunter laughed. Zekaj stopped his rambling and his tight hold on Hunter lessened enough for Hunter to slip out.

Hunter cupped Zekaj's face, his beard brushing against his hand.

Hunter looked into Zekaj's wide eyes filled with panic. Even though Zekaj's eyes, in demon form, were just a solid glowing color, Hunter could tell what he was feeling. Was it some power of the bond?