Ch. 15 - Rainy Day

2 Weeks before Hunter's 18th birthday

Zekaj sat by the window watching as the rain cascaded down the glass.  His planned return to the beach had sadly been thwarted by the endless torrent of rain.  Hunter just sat studying spells watching Zekaj pouting on the window seat.

"Is there a spell to stop the rain?" He asked quietly.

"I don't think any mage is powerful enough to stop the rain Zekaj."  Hunter said, getting up from his desk and walking towards him.  Hunter had never changed into a beach outfit, unlike Zekaj who had put on the tank top and swim trunks from two weeks ago.

"But this was our last chance before it gets too cold."  He pouted.

"I'm sorry dude."  Hunter said, patting Zekaj's shoulder.  Zekaj inched towards his touch on instinct.  The warmth from Hunter's touch was enough to put him out a little from his mood.

"We're going the second we can next summer."  Zekaj whimpered.

"I'll make sure of it."  Hunter whispered, looking out the window with Zekaj.  "School starts back up tomorrow."

"Ugh!"  Zekaj groaned, throwing his head back.  "Don't remind me.  Another year of boring shit."  He grumbled, crossing his arms on his chest.

"Well about that."  Hunter started.  Zekaj looked over in excitement.

"You're dropping out!"  He exclaimed.  A huge smile appeared on his face.

"No no."  Hunter chuckled.  Zekaj went back to pouting.  "I have to confirm it with my counselor but I believe I'm eligible to graduate early."

"So this means..."  Zekaj whispered.

"Only one semester of "torture"."  Zekaj's smile returned as he jumped off the window seat and lifted Hunter into a hug.

"This is the greatest thing you've ever done."  He screamed in excitement.

"Hey I haven't gotten the ok-"

"Only like 4 months then and you're done!  And then,"  He paused.  "And then what?"  He calmly said.

Hunter thought about it for a moment.  "I'm not sure I guess.  We could leave this town and travel?  There is a lot of the world we've yet to see."

"There's so much world!" Zekaj thought.  "Countless years Hunter has to spend with me!"

"You have to promise to travel with me nonstop!  I don't care if you find your soulmate.  You're still stuck with me!"  He said, making the deal.

"What?"  Hunter laughed.  "Are you adding an addendum to our contract?"

"Yes!  That's exactly what we're doing!"  Zekaj held out his hand, the pale gold surrounding it.  "You, Hunter Sullivan, agree to be best friends forever and to not ignore me when you find your soulmate."

"Deal."  Hunter extended his hand, the palm meeting Zekaj's as the mark on his hand rebranded.

Zekaj grabbed Hunter's wrist and examined the mark on his right hand.

"Nice."  He said out loud. 

Hunter rolled his eyes and laid down on his bed, his back up against the wall.  Zekaj watched him before deciding to sit right next to him.  The only problem was Hunter was sitting on the edge of the bed.  Zekaj decided instead of going around he would simply crawl over him.

"Don't mind me."  Zekaj said, crawling over Hunter.  Hunter rolled his eyes again.

Zekaj got himself situated right up against Hunter, his bigger body rubbing up against his smaller one.  Zekaj watched Hunter sit there on his phone scrolling through Tiktok.  Many of the jokes he didn't understand and Hunter had to explain to him.