Vol 6 Part 9

(A/N: Thanks for 60K reads)

(3rd Person POV)

In the Land of Darkness at Salem's keep, Emerald was sitting on the floor while Mercury was training around the room with punches and kicks.

Emerald: I hate being kept in the dark like this...

Mercury: Yeah, Cinder was a pain, but at least she kept us filled in.

He continued training.

Emerald: Can I ask you something?

Mercury: You're gonna.

Emerald: Why did you come with us, the night Cinder and I found you?

Mercury: Why are you asking--

Emerald: Just answer the question.

Mercury: Just made sense.

Emerald: It made sense?

Mercury: All my life, my father trained me to be a killer, an assassin like him. And then moments after I killed him, you two showed up looking for someone with my exact skills. Just felt like it was meant to be.

Emerald: That's it?

Mercury: Hey, what's your problem?

Emerald: I mean, there has to be something you want from this, right?

Mercury: Salem's promised us everything. We win this thing for her, we'll be top dogs in her new world. What more do you want?

Emerald: I just...

Emerald sighed.

Emerald: Cinder was the only family I ever had. She cared about me, taught me things... But without her here, I don't know if what we're doing--

Mercury: Wake up, already...

Emerald looked at him in shock upon hearing this.

Mercury: Cinder doesn't care about you! She doesn't care about either of us!

Emerald: You don't know what you're talking about!

Mercury: You're in denial. And if you're gonna start having a crisis of identity or some crap... keep me out of it.

At this, Emerald angrily jumped forward and started to attack Mercury with punches and kicks, but he dodged them and caught her wrist.

Mercury: I'm sorry you didn't have a mommy that loved you, but I had a father who hated me!

Mercury shoved Emerald back a bit. She took a defensive stance as he slowly approached her.

Mercury: He never went easy on me! Every day of training was a beating. And when I unlocked my Semblance, he stole it with his!

He threw a punch and a kick at Emerald, who dodged them, while he quoted his father's words.

Mercury: "This is a crutch!" "This makes you weak!" He told me I could have it back when I was strong. So I got strong, but I never got it back! I've had to work harder than anyone to get where I am. You may not like it here without Cinder, but I think I'm right where I'm supposed to be!

Suddenly, the two heard a certain laughter. Tyrian stepped out of the shadows with his new metallic scorpion tail, mocking Mercury.

Tyrian: Oh yes, the world is mean, and I'm a big, bad man now just like the others.

Mercury growled as he angrily walked over to Tyrian.

Mercury: How long have you been standing there?