Vol 4 Part 14

(3rd Person POV)

The sounds of thunder and gunfire could be heard. A billowing cloud of dust and pieces of wood rose in the distance around the top of a tree that was barely visible above the town rooftops. Jaune, Ruby, Ren and Nora all fell back by the dead cherry tree. Qrow was still unconscious and propped against it.

The Nuckelavee came into view, twitching its various body parts. It sent out a shockwave roar that caused all four teenagers to flinch. The Grimm looked at the teenagers and turned its head to look at Qrow and began running toward him.

Edel stood across from Renata and the mysterious figure. He didn't want to do this, but he had to. Ruby was more important than Renata at this point.

Edel: There was a point I would've done anything for you.

Renata: I know, you were so sweet, Aloysius.

Edel: Where did you go?

Renata: I'm right here. We can still be siblings... together forever.

Edel: On Salem's side.

Renata: Is that an issue?

Edel: Of course.

Renata: Why, because Ruby's not with her?

Edel: Despite how evil Ozpin is, despite how he ruined everything, he's still better than Salem. Don't you remember growing up in the village, side by side, us against the world?

Renata exchanged a look with the creature, grave and filled with silent understanding. When she returned her gaze to Edel, something in her expression had softened. Her lips curved into that sweet smile he remembered so well.

Jaune sheathed his sword and made a run for Qrow. The Nuckelavee lashed out with one of its arms, able to extend it at a far reach. Jaune avoided it and got Qrow upright, but the Nuckelavee was heading right for them.

Ren used his semblance to hide Jaune and Qrow from the Grimm, which stopped short and looked about in confusion. Jaune stood still, staring at the Grimm.

Ren: Just get him to safety!

Jaune walked away with Qrow while the battle resumed. He set Qrow down behind a building and narrowed his eyes at the wounded man before turning to leave. Qrow grabbed him by the hand, but fell unconscious before he could say anything. Jaune gave Qrow another look before rejoining the fight.

Renata: Of course I remember. We had such a wonderful childhood, didn't we?

Edel: The parts that included you were wonderful.

He hesitated though.

Edel: I know you can't forgive me for... many things I've done. But my only wish is for us to find a way to move past these mistakes. One day I hope you can see me again as you once saw me... as your brother and your friend.

Renata: What an unusually sentimental thought for you, Aloysius. But are you certain that's all you want from me anymore? A chaste friendship between siblings and nothing more?

Edel's heart had begun to pound.

Edel: Renata...

The Grimm was using its arms to grab hold of each of Jaune's teammates, but was continually distracted by the fire of the next one.

Jaune: Guys, keep moving, go in a circle!

The team followed this plan, and Ruby got distracted when Jaune sheathed his sword after landing a strike.

Ruby: What are you doing?

She smiled when she realized that Jaune was using his upgraded Crocea Mors to land strikes on the beast.