Vol 1 Part 14

(3rd Person POV)

Nora: How come Jaune gets home so late?

Ren: He's become rather scarce since he started fraternizing with Cardin.

Nora: That's weird... Doesn't he know we have a field trip tomorrow? We need our rest!

Pyrrha: I'm sure our leader knows exactly what he's doing.

It hurt Jaune to hear her so mad at him. He didn't know what to do though. He couldn't do anything else, or he would be kicked out of Beacon.

Nora: Mmmm... I guess so.

Jaune hung his head in shame, closing the door. He really didn't know what to do.

Ruby: Hey, Jaune!

Startled, Jaune turned around to see her in her pajamas, and she giggled at his reaction

Ruby: Long time, no see! Did you lock yourself out again?

Jaune: Oh, uh, nope!

He raised his Scroll, trying to laugh, but the words from Pyrrha hurt.

Jaune: Got it!

Ruby: So! Where have you been lately?

Jaune: I, uh...

Jaune tried to come up with something to say, but he couldn't think of anything. He sighed and lowered his head, as he let out my frustration to Ruby.

Jaune: I messed up. I did something I shouldn't have, and now Cardin has me on a leash, and Pyrrha won't even talk to me, and I'm starting to think coming to this school was a bad idea.

Jaune pressed his back to his team's door and slid down, saddened by his team's reactions.

Jaune: I'm a failure.

Ruby: Nope!

Jaune wasn't expecting that. He looked back at Ruby in confusion.

Jaune: Nope?

Ruby: Nope! You're a leader now, Jaune. You're not allowed to be a failure.

Jaune: But... What if I'm a failure at being a leader?

Ruby stood there, seeming to think about what he said for a moment.

Ruby: Nope!

Jaune laughed genuinely, as Ruby joined him on the floor.

Jaune: You know, you're not the easiest person to talk to about this kind of stuff.

Ruby: Nope!

He leaned back against the door more, wanting to disappear. Ruby didn't seem like the person that was good in these situations.

Ruby: Jaune, maybe you were a failure when you were a kid...

Jaune groaned and sunk further into the ground.

Ruby: And you might've even been a failure the first day we met!

He groaned, and still continued to go lower.

Jaune: Not really helping my confidence here Ruby.

Ruby: But, you can't be one now. You know why?

Jaune: Nope. Uhhh, because...?

Ruby: Because it's not just about you anymore. You've got a team now, Jaune. We both do! And if we fail, then we'll just be bringing them down with us.

She stood up, leaving him on the ground, and placed her hands on her hips, as she preached.

Ruby: We have to put our teammates first, and ourselves second. Your team deserves a great leader, Jaune. And I think that can be you.