Vol 9 Teaser 4

(3rd Person POV)

Gemma: To the one my heart beats for, Spring, 20th day of March, and the 6th year without you.

Gemma sat inside her room.

No, her prison.

She had once lived free with bandits out in the forests of Anima. After she had been captured, she was taken back to Atlas, forced to live as a pawn in order for her new parents to gain more power.

She turned her attention back to the letter.

Gemma: It's been quite some time now, hasn't it? I wonder if you already forgot the promise you made that day. But, I can still hear the words you cried out before leaving even after all these years.

Gemma looked upwards and to the side, staring out the window to see the sun shining through the clouds.

Gemma: Have you been eating well? I still hope that we'll get to see each other again one day. Though, I think it's too late now. I'm already bound by my duty, and I don't think I can ever face you again like before. If ever we see each other again and you recognize me, please remember that I'm still the same Gemma you knew. However, I don't think you will. Not anymore. But that's fine, it's going to be all right. I'll just buy tons of candy and give it to you so you can finally remember me! Hehe!

Gemma paused for a long while, letting her pen rest, as she looked back up to the clouds. She sighed as she thought back to him.

Gemma: But all of this is just wishful thinking now. Not all love stories have a happy ending after all, and I guess ours will be that way too. I just wish I could touch your face one last time. Even if it's with my eyes closed, that's all right. Or even if I go blind in exchange, that's all fine. I would still agree, just so I could feel you one more time. Just remember that I will always...

She paused one more time, rubbing her eyes so as to keep the tears back.

Gemma: Always love you. I will never forget all the memories we had together. Love, Gemma.

Gemma let her head fall down, her forehead hitting the table, as she ignored everything else, squeezing her eyes shut as tightly as possible.

Gemma: Hey... Will we... ever see each other again...? I... really miss you so much...

Gemma sniffed as she started to cry, unable to hold back the tears as she drifted off into darkness.

Ruby: Edel!

He had been to the Realm of the Demonic. He had gone for thousands of years, but he never had the true experience, to be reborn as one of them, to feel their pain.

For the darkest creatures in Remnant, who had died by his, and the others' hands, the realm of the Demonic, being a creature of the Demonic, had to feel exactly like this.

Endless darkness.

A slow, torturous suffocation.

And pain. So much pain.

Edel's shattered bones made him useless, unable to fight, to pound at the wooden barrier only a breath above his face.

The expanse of time had felt eternal, but there was no way of knowing how long he'd been there. Trapped underground in a small, stifling wooden coffin. Struggling only made it worse. His throat was raw from screaming for someone, anyone, to find this freshly dug grave.

Every time he slipped away into the escape of sleep, he was certain he wouldn't ever wake up again.

Yet he did.