Vol 8 Part 12

(3rd Person POV)

A small Manta made its way toward Atlas through a lightly Grimm-infested sky. Some of the ship's occupants, Jaune, Nora, and Ren were uneasy. 

Just outside Atlas Academy, Vine, Harriet, and Elm looked on as Ironwood readied a large handheld cannon, awaiting Penny's arrival.

Ironwood: Be ready for anything. We don't know what state Penny is in.

Harriet: If any of those brats have the nerve to come with her, we put them down immediately. The General gave his terms. No more games.

Vine sighed, while Elm looked uneasy.

Harriet: Is there a problem?

Vine: Just... retracing the steps that led us here.

Ironwood's scroll beeped with a security alert.

Harriet: What is it, sir?

Ironwood: Qrow and Robyn. They're in the Academy hangar.

Vine: Trying to stop the payload?

Ironwood: Or just looking for a way out.

Harriet: Not going to happen. I've been waiting to take my shot at those two.

With a spread of her arms, she activated her Fast Knuckles.

Harriet: Let's go, Ace Ops.

Elm: But...someone needs to stay here with the General.

Winter: I'll stay.

She entered from his side, coming to a stop beside Ironwood.

Winter: We lose the payload, we lose our leverage.

Ironwood: She's right. Contain it. Now.

Vine, Harriet, and Elm left to deal with the fugitives. Winter's expression softened.

Winter: Sir, this course of action--

Ironwood: I hope you're not going to try to talk me out of it.

Winter turned to look Ironwood in the eye, her demeanor shifting to a resolute one.

Winter: No, sir. I don't think that's possible.

With a whoosh, both were alerted to Penny's apparent approach, and they watched her touch down before them. Ironwood immediately leveled his cannon at her. Its barrel glowed a pale green as he charged it.

Ironwood: I didn't think you'd actually come alone.

He paused to hand Winter a set of Gravity Bolas, then continued pointing his weapon at her.

Ironwood: I expected at least some resistance from your friends.

Penny: I don't want anyone else to die.

Winter stepped forward, securing Penny's wrists with the bolas.

Penny: I must open the Vault.

Winter stepped back, drawing her saber and pointing it at Penny. Ironwood took a deep breath and lowered his cannon, then moved forward to place a hand on Penny's shoulder.

Ironwood: You've done the right thing.

Penny cocked an eyebrow, her voice suddenly deeper than usual.

Penny: I have.

The image of Penny flickered and was replaced with Emerald. Behind her, Oscar, Jaune, Ren, and Nora appeared, weapons at the ready and poised to fight. A Manta was parked behind them.