Vol 1 Part 7

(A/N: Thanks for 1K reads!)

(Your POV)

The fight was pretty tragic. Cardin had his weapon on his shoulder and Jaune opposite him with his sword drawn, leaning on it, clearly exhausted.

Jaune looked at Cardin, who laughed at his opponent's tiredness. Jaune gathered his strength to charge forward and swung his blade at Cardin, only for the bully to jump out of the way. Jaune looked back, surprised, as Cardin's weapon sent Jaune's shield, and himself, flying back. 

Now only armed with his sword, Jaune continued to try and attack, but was blocked by the mace's hilt. Their weapons locked, Cardin forced himself up, towering over a struggling Jaune.

Cardin: This is the part where you lose.

Jaune: Over my dead...

Jaune was cut short as Cardin kneed him in the gut, making Jaune drop his sword and fall to the ground in pain. Cardin raised his mace and was about to slam it down on a worried Jaune just when the buzzer rang, the lights came back on, and Glynda's voice caused him to stop. 

Jaune had lost again.

(Y/N): In the weeks that it has been, he hasn't won a fight yet. It's sad really.

Glynda: Cardin, that's enough!

Cardin relented and walked away as she came onto the stage, tapping her tablet

Glynda: Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match.

Jaune still lied on the floor, grounded in defeat. You turned and saw how sad Pyrrha looked. You had noticed that Pyrrha had tried and tired again to get closer to Jaune, with little to no success. Looking back to Jaune you saw that the losing warrior pulled out his smaller tablet.

Glynda: Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?

Cardin: Speak for yourself...

You glared at Cardin as he made the remark. While you were suspicious of Jaune's capabilities, Ozpin let him in, and so there must be some saving grace. Thinking back to the Initiation, he seemed like a natural leader, ordering around you and the rest of the now Team JNPR.

Glynda: Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away. It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing. Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!

The bell rang, and students started leaving while Pyrrha continued to frown sadly. You looked at her trying to understand the distress she must be going through. You had learned from others, and Pyrrha herself, that she was considered the greatest warrior of your age group. Still she now had Jaune as her leader. 

Jaune, still sitting on the floor, hung his head in shame.

(Y/N): Don't worry Jaune. You'll have a breakthrough soon.

Nora: So! There we were, in the middle of the night...

Ren: It was day.

After class the nine of you had headed off to lunch for a quick bite before the rest of the day. To pass the time Nora had decided to tell stories now, which seemed odd, considering they usually ended up in lots of explosions, but the rest seemed satisfied enough by them.