Vol 4 Part 6

(3rd Person POV)

An air horn sounded loudly. An off ramp was lowered on the ship bearing Blake and Sun to allow passengers to disembark. The town had many small buildings and homes set among dunes and palm trees. The town bell that had been ringing.

Sun and Blake made their way from the deck to the offramp. She proceeded without pause while Sun stopped to look at the town.

Sun: Huh.

Several Faunus in summer wear meandered casually at the dock, some waiting for friends or family among the new arrivals.

The dock was also a commercial area, with mobile kiosks selling food and other wares. It was a relaxed atmosphere on a sunny day.

Sun was looking around while he and Blake disembarked and walked through the market area together.

Sun: I've never seen so many Faunus in one place!

Blake: This is the one place everyone can feel safe, no matter who or what they are.

Sun: Wow, sure is, uh, crowded, huh?

Blake: Yes. Yes, it is.

Sun had to dodge a Faunus that had been carrying a box.

Sun: Is it always so... cramped?

Blake: Well, when you try and take an entire species and put them on an island that's two-thirds desert, yeah, it tends to be cramped.

Sun: What! You guys have that much more space? Why waste it? A little desert never hurt anyone!

Blake: It's not like the desert in Vacuo, Sun. The wildlife here is more dangerous than most other regions.

Sun: So, they give us a terrible island, in the corner of Remnant, to try and shut us up.

Blake: That's a pretty good summary, yeah.

Sun: Huh. Jerks.

Blake: We try to make the best of things.

The two paused in their walk to look at the view of the town the road affords. The road they were on went downhill and to the side, bordered by palm trees and homes that had either canvas or wood roofs.

The vista of palm trees spread out to the edge of mountainous dunes in the distance. Right in the middle of all this was a large house with an open courtyard that the road appeared to lead directly to.

The house was at least three stories and was the only building in the whole area with a sophisticated roof.

Sun: Whoa...

Blake: This, is Kuo Kuana.

Sun: It's... beautiful. I take it all back. This place looks great! Why would anyone ever want to leave?

Blake: That's not the point, Sun! We asked to be equal, to be treated just like everyone else! Instead, we were given an island and told to make do. So we did the best we could. We came together and we made a home where any Faunus could feel welcome. But this island, this town, will always be a reminder that we're still not equal.

She lowered her face.

Blake: That we're still second-class citizens.

Sun put his hands on her shoulder, providing comfort.

Sun: Well, hey, this guy's feeling pretty at home.

Blake: Alright, time to go home.

Sun: Oh yeah?

He moved his hand to her other shoulder, pulling her in.

Sun: Which one's yours? Can you see it from here?