Funeral

Santana's POV:

Nationals are in one week and, yet again, we are without a set list. You'd think that Schuester would get his shit together for once as the biggest competition of our lives is coming up, but no. However, he has hired Jesse St James- he was a part of the club last year and, although he is talented, I don't really trust him. That being said, last year Britt, Q and I were spying too, and now we stay because we love it, so he might be telling the truth.

It's strange, everyone should be excited for what is coming up, but there is some kind of indescribable atmosphere. Rachel's happiness is obviously forced, Finn looks like he is about to jump Jesse, Quinn is silent and everyone else just looks they don't know what to do with themselves. I guess that it is all a bit anticlimactic to be working towards this moment for two years, yet not even have the set list a week before. We are all excited, don't get me wrong, there are just too many unknowns- like what happens if we don't win? What happens if we do win? What do we work for then? I don't know...

"Guys, Jesse is just a consultant, I still make all the calls." Mr Schue tries to reason when the others start to protest- saying that he cannot be trusted. Britt and I share a look, we both agreed that we don't want to get involved in this. "Now I have all the confidence in the world in you guys," clearly not, Schue, "I just think that we could use all the help we can get. Because..." He pointed to the whiteboard where Nationals was written in big letters. I couldn't help but smile when I saw it- have we really done it? "This is it. We have been working so hard for two years for this moment, and that moment is finally here." I squeezed on Britt's hand slightly, I am not ashamed to say that I am excited. "Now I was talking with Jesse, and he agreed that we should continue with our successful trend of doing original songs for the competition. I was thinking of doing one group number and one duet."

Jesse finally spoke up after the last five minutes of standing there awkwardly- it reminded me of when he first joined last year. I let out a small laugh, remembering how B thought that Jesse was Schue's son. "What?" I said coldly when everyone faced to look at me, before softening my features and smiling over at Britt.

"The Vocal Adrenaline strategy is simple- identify your best performer and build the entire performance around them." Jesse spoke with a confidence which made you not want to defy him, but I'm Santana Lopez and I don't take instructions from anyone... except Britt.

"So what does everyone else do?" Cedes asked, clearly sceptical about the whole thing.

"And who's our star performer?" Puck said before anyone could answer Mercedes' question.

"We're going to have auditions to find out," Schuester replied after letting out a dramatic sigh. "I'm going to post a sign-up sheet on the noticeboard by the door now. We only have a few more minutes left today so talk amongst yourselves and try and think of what songs you're going to sing, and if you're going to audition." I turned to Britt who lifted her head off of my shoulder as I said that.

"You tired, Baby?" I asked.

"Not really, just bored with all the drama- it's never good when Schuester Junior comes in. I nodded in agreement while stifling my laugh at her name for Jesse. "You going to audition?"

"I don't know," I sighed and she looked at me, confused. "I just know that there is going to be so much fighting and drama... I think it would be easier if I sat this one out."

"But don't you want to get a solo at Nationals?"

"Of course I do but-"

"Then why not do it?"

"Because- I don't know." I shrugged, "I'm just fed up of always arguing with everyone in here. You know how it gets when solos are on the line. Berry will go back to her old self, Cedes, Kurt and I will probably be competing against each other. I know how I can get when I am defending something I care about, and I don't want to hurt anyone... they have helped me too much recently for me to go back to the old me, especially not for just one song,"