Phone Calls

Brittany's POV:

I will never get used to the myriad of emotions that I feel when I am in this room. Sometimes I find it nice to be able to gather my thoughts in silence but, other times, I find the time waiting excruciating. I can only imagine how Santana feels- I mean, she is the one who has to think about the things which she has repressed for so long.

"Santana Lopez?" The woman who I now know as Eggy called. San stood up and looked round to us with a small smile.

"Have fun," I said but she just raised her eyebrow at me. "Or try to," I shrugged and we both laughed a little. She embraced me and her mom in a quick hug before disappearing down the hallway. Usually, I just sit here thinking about anything and everything- I guess it's not just San who reflects in this building. It can be boring, but I'll never stop doing something that benefits my girlfriend, not simply so that I can do something a bit more exciting.

"Hey Britt, do you want to go get a drink or something?"

"I- uh- I promised San that I would be here when she comes out..."

"And you will be. We won't be gone for long," I was thirsty, but it still seemed wrong. What if Santana comes out after an especially difficult session which she couldn't get to the end of, and I'm not there to comfort her? I'd never forgive myself. "Come on, Brittany, let's go." Eventually, I nodded and we made our way to the nearest coffee shop. We placed our orders before taking a seat, which is when she started speaking again. "So, do you want to talk about it?"

"Wh-What do you mean?"

"Britt, I may not be able to read San as well as you can," hey, that rhymed! "But I do know when she is worried about something- she's only ever this worried when it comes to you."

"I-"

"You don't need to say anything, but I just figured that we were going to be here for an hour or so. Besides, I owe you for all of the things you do for San."

"You don't owe me anything," she just raised an eyebrow- it's crazy how similar she and San can look. I sighed before finally answering "When you found out about her being gay, what did we walk in on?" Santana definitely got her facial expressions from her Mom- they are almost identical. For example, I could tell that she was shocked by my question. It may have been months ago, but I never found out what it was. "I saw the messages before we came back. I actually was the only one who saw them because I practically confiscated her phone so she wouldn't see any of the hate. I knew that her dad probably wouldn't be supportive just from that, but all you said was to come home. Did you- When did you know that you had accepted her?"

"You know, Britt, some parents say that they know before their child comes out- I didn't. Or, at least, I don't think that I did. Maybe, deep down, I knew and was happy to leave it until I had no choice but to deal with it. But I would always accept her. That's what a mother is supposed to do, you know, love their children and support them no matter what. I wasn't going to let her down, not like I did with-" she stopped suddenly and looked absolutely mortified about what she almost said. I guess I never really thought about how Maribel and Antonio dealt with the whole prison thing because I was so wrapped up in San.

"It's okay, you don't need to say anything." I reassured with a small smile.

"You know, don't you?" She sighed. What do I say? I know that it is a big secret and all, but will she be mad at San for telling me? "Don't worry, I can tell that you do. I guess I'm just surprised- San doesn't usually talk about it. None of us do."

"You're not mad she told me?"

"Never." She said sternly. "Thank you for getting her to open up about it, she never has with me or her father. I know that she hates him, but understanding how she feels can be difficult when she doesn't say anything." She shook her head a little, probably at her own thoughts, and went back to the previous topic. "So I'm assuming that that wasn't all you were thinking about?" I stayed quiet. "Brittany, I will never leave her. Ever. I should have done so much more, but I never want to fail her again-"