Still Standing

Santana's POV:

The rest of our break went quite quickly after that and, before we knew it, Britt and I were preparing to go back to school. It's crazy to think that we aren't going to have any more breaks from McKinley- that was our last one. It's kind of terrifying too because we really are growing up and, soon, everything that has happened at McKinley will be a thing of the past. All of our successes and failures, the friendships and enemies, they'll all take a second to remember. It's true what they say about high school in that it doesn't really matter- or things like popularity don't- but it's sad that everything that has meant so much to us for the past 4 years will be meaningless in just a few months.

Yesterday, it was Regionals for Cheerios. As expected, we won, and it's really exciting to know that we might actually get a chance of getting two national championships this year. Regardless of how sad it is that things are ending, winning two national championships will be the best way to end things.

"Britt, come on!" I called out to her in the bathroom for the millionth time, holding the last syllable a little longer than I normally would so that it seemed playful rather than frustrated. "I wanna get my cuddle on!" I heard her laughing at my childish voice before she finally emerged.

"Alright, alright, I'm here," she sighed, lying down beside me.

"Took you long enough," I joked and took her arm so that it was around me.

"What are we watching tonight?" She asked, tightening her hold on me as she always does.

"I thought we could watch Tangled," I replied. "We haven't seen it since last year," I shrugged.

"What? San, I thought we promised never to bring it into this house! If Ashley sees it, she will tie us up and threaten us with a frying pan!" I laughed at her serious tone.

"Babe, relax. While I am a little concerned that you think your little sister is capable of something like that against two people who are pretty much adults and I think there must be something you're not telling me about her- like that she's the Incredible Hulk in disguise," I said jokingly. "She doesn't need to see it,"

"Fine," she sighed.

"Smile," I told her and poked at her cheek to make it happen- making Britt smile is probably the easiest thing to do, but I always love it so much when she smiles because of me. "I love you," I said in a sing-song voice, making her smile grow even more.

"I love you too," she told me through her smile and kissed the top of my head.

"B,"

"Mhm,"

"Can I have a proper kiss?"

"That was a proper kiss," she protested playfully before leaning down and giving me what I wanted. "Now watch the movie,"

"Look who wants to watch it now," I joked in a quiet voice. In response, she pulled away and just looked at me with raised eyebrows. Determined not to crack, I kept my attention solely on the TV, but I could still see her out of the corner of my eye. Eventually, I gave in and pulled her back to me which made her laugh. "Shut up," I muttered playfully.

~~~~~

I didn't know what time it was when I woke up, but I knew that Brittany's arm wasn't around me and I wasn't happy about that. Half asleep and with my eyes closed, I reached beside me to try and grab her arm, but I found what felt like her knee instead. It was confusing, but I just assumed that I had moved during the night, ending up in a weird position- I usually stay quite still during the night when I'm with Brittany, but it wouldn't be the first time that something like that had happened. Deciding that that was what must have happened, I started to shuffle up the bed with my eyes still closed.