Duets

Santana's POV

This sucks! It's my junior year of high school and I'm here single! The school days seem to go on forever and the worst thing is that I'm sat next to Berry for most of my classes. I mean Berry! You'd think that if they wanted me to get through this school year without killing her they would at least put her far away where I can't get to her. All she talks about is Broadway and Barbra Streisand and Broadway and Streisand and just how talented she is. Would I be able to claim that she provoked me if I decided to go all Lima Heights on her ass? I mean technically she is provoking me but I don't know if they would see it that way.

2.56pm. 4 more minutes until I can leave and go to Glee. Another hour of Berry taking all the attention...yay! At least I'll have Brittany though. She will be able to make it manageable.

The thing about Brittany is that everybody gets down on her for being a 'slut' or for being 'dumb'. But she is my best friend, and make no mistake I am willing to beat the crap out of anyone who says that- I guess that's just what I do best, revenge.

It's like nobody but me can see how freaking perfect Britt is. I mean everyone yells or laughs at her when she doesn't know how to do something like lock a door or says something random. They're the stupid ones, not her. She's a genius. And I will stop at nothing to make her and everyone else realise that.

"SANTANA!" I hear someone shriek deafeningly which snaps me out of my thoughts.

"What Berry? Could you not see that I'm concentrating?" I snap before looking around the classroom to see that we are the only ones left. 3.01 pm, shit. I pack up my things quickly before walking out, Berry trailing behind. "Hurry up Berry, it's Glee now!" I say seeing how slow she is walking. She looks like a kicked puppy, I don't understand why considering that Glee was one of her only chances to summon demons with her voice without facing the consequences and I didn't comment on the size of her nose or her clothing. I did nothing wrong.

"Sorry Santana," she said quickening her pace a little bit, "So what do you think we are doing today, Santana? Sectionals are in about 5 weeks, Santana, and surely Mr Schue should have decided what solo and duet me and Finn are singing, don't you think, Santana?" Now I regret telling her to speak. I mean does she have to say my name so much?

"Hold up, Man Hands, what makes you think you'll be getting a solo?" I ask, knowing that she will be getting one because her and Pillsbury Dough Turd are the favourites. You'd think that Schuester would let other people have a chance once in a while with all of his pep talks about how great we all are, but I guess not.

"I-I don't know," she stammered, "but I really hope I will get one. I feel like Finn is still in love with Quinn and I know that if I can sing with him then he will see that we are meant to be with each other, I mean have you seen our musical chemistry?" She said almost in one breath. I just rolled my eyes and walked into the choir room sitting next to Brittany.

"Sorry we're late Mr Schue," Rachel said loudly in that high pitched tone which just makes you want to rip her vocal chords out. She's such a suck-up!

I pretty much zoned out of everything else around me for the next few minutes while they talked about who knows what and spoke to Brittany. God she's amazing.

"Hey Britt-Britt!" I said with a smile  while she played with my fingers.  She smiled in return and linked our pinkies before setting our hands in her lap. Honestly I don't know how that started but I love it. Being able to hold her makes me feel safe, she is my safe space, and I love her...as a friend of course.

Just as we were about to talk about our plans for the evening, Mr Schue walked up to the board and wrote the title of the lesson that he no-doubt thought of 2 minutes ago.

"Duets!" He said sounding too excited for 3 pm on a Monday. One of the reasons that these lessons often feel longer than they are is because of his everlasting optimism. Does he not get that we are teenagers in a public school in Ohio, there isn't really much to be happy about!

"Who can tell me what a duet is?" He questioned. Berry, of course, put her hand up immediately but before she could say anything, Britt answered for her.

"A blanket!" She sounded so happy with her answer but when everyone else laughed her smile fell. I shot everyone who laughed a death glare and squeezed on her pinky to show her that I was still there. She looked up at me with sad eyes and whispered "I don't know why I can never get anything right."

The tears in her eyes broke me. I gave her a weak smile and said "They don't know anything, B, ignore them. You're a genius, don't ever let them make you think different." She smiled at me and rested her head on my shoulder. This feeling was one that I never wanted to let go of.

By the time that I refocused on the lesson Schuester was already telling us something along the lines of us having to pair up and sing something.

Secretly I was hoping that it would be like last year when we got paired together to do the Ballad assignment. In all honesty we didn't even sing. By the time we had picked out a song the rest of the club had decided that we were all just going to sing together for Finn and Quinn so we just spent the time getting to know each other in a completely new way.

But I knew it couldn't be like that again. Last time we were chosen by fate as Schue called it and we couldn't change, not that I would have wanted to, but we couldn't just choose each other and there be no rumours, especially with the Muckraker back. People have only just stopped talking about Britt's slip-up last year with the whole sex is not dating, if it were Santana and I would be dating thing. No matter how much I want us to, we can't. We just can't.

I felt Britt lift her head off my shoulder and look at me when he said about partners. She wanted us to do it together. And she knows me too well to know that I am lying when I say that I don't want to. Before she can say anything, I lean in and whisper
"Hey, are your parents home tonight?" At least this way it wont be in front of anyone else when I say no.

"Hmm, nope. They're taking my sister and Wes to soccer, and he's still upset with me for ending it between us when Madonna week ended, so I can't go. Why? Do you want to come over?" She asked.

I put my head on her shoulder and sighed "That would be perfect Britt-Britt," I just hope that she doesn't take it too badly when I tell her that I don't want to do the duet with her. "Perfect".

AN: Hiii, what did you think of the first chapter? I wasn't sure how long to make it so I stopped at around 1200 words. Let me know :)

Stay safe everyone, I love you all!