CHAPTER 56: Missing You

Third person's POV.

∞♡∞∞♡∞∞♡∞∞♡∞∞♡∞∞♡∞∞♡∞∞♡

The flight from City B to Buriram Province takes one and a half hours. By the time her plane landed, it is already dark outside. Despite Lisa’s assurance that she will get home safely by herself, she can see her father waiting or her the moment she exits the gate.

Mr.Manoban owns a car but he seldom drives these days due to age. Especially now that it is night time, he has taken public transport to the airport and fetch his daughter home by cab. When they are near home, Lisa’s mother – Mrs. Manoban – has been expecting them and she opens the window to call out to her daughter the moment she sees her alighting from the cab.

Lisa’s home is on the third floor of an apartment block. Their house is comfortably spacious – property prices are more affordable in second and third tier cities – and Lisa can feel a sense of homecoming when she steps in, Mrs.Manoban sits her down on a sofa and starts fussing over her while Mr.Manobab quickly fetches a cardigan from the room and starts fussing over his wife, for fear that the cold night air from the open window will cause her to catch a cold.

Lisa’s dad Marco is a Swiss Native by birth. Before he retired, he used to work as a Chef in A Restaurant.and he has married Lisa's Mom, a kindergarten teacher.

Mr.Manoban used to have a fiery temper and Mrs.Manoban is his exact opposite with a sanguine nature. When they have arguments earlier in their marriage, Mr.Manoban would bellow all over the place while Mrs.Manoban would remain quiet and unmovable like a mountain Unbothered. Lisa does not know if there is any love in her parent’s marriage, but over the years, her parent have settled into a companionable partnership and that togetherness seems much more solid and sustainable to Lisa, than waxing love poetics.

When she is back in her childhood room, she looks out of her window to admire the  view.Like any other Country, development has been relentless and has transformed the city landscape like mushroom blossoming after rain. Even the stars, which used to be visible from any part of the city, seem duller now with the polluted air. The changes have taken away a lot of the familiarity of home, and like most young people returning to their hometown, her eyes scans the landscape hungrily for familiar sights.

While she gets lost in nostalgia, she receives a call from Jungkook. Although he has received her message when her plane has landed, he misses her deeply and has waited, waited and waited until he thinks she is done with her reunion before calling her. However, when she picks up his call, all the words that he wants to say seem stuck to this tongue and he can only manage to talk about the most mundane things. A long while into their conversation, he finally manages. “Lisa.”

“Hm?”

“I miss you.” 4 hours and over 400km of separation presses like a dead weight on him.

Lisa sighs, equally forlorn. “I miss you too.”

*******

Mrs.Manoban is scheduled for operation the next day and it is a great success. Over the next few days, Lisa would spend a lot of time at the hospital taking care of her, earning herself praises from the hospital staff for being a filial daughter. Although most of the complements are just routine remarks for the occasion, Mrs.Manoban is nonetheless very happy to hear from others how lucky she is to have such a filial daughter.

During this period, she notices that her daughter receives a lot of calls and very often when she is talking to the other party, Lisa would smile into the phone. Deciding to be direct, she asks one day. “Do you have a boyfriend already?”