Obsessions Part 87

This is the big day. Finally, you and Rei was about to gamble. Nervousness seeped through you as students began to fill the seats to watch your match. You have no idea if you're already prepared or not since there's no one you could talk to before this game. Rei took all of your friends from you. This time, you're battling alone, just like before you befriended everyone.

"Nervous?" Rei asked from across the seat.

She sat there very relaxed knowing that she had everything under her control. You on the other hand was about to explode from anxiety.

Sayaka stepped up, and stood between the two of you. If you didn't hear their conversation, you would feel a little less tense with her presence. But right now, she's adding more weight on your worries.

"In this game, you will be playing by pairs." Sayaka spoke.

"What!? I wasn't informed with this. I didn't get a partner yet!" you said.

"Don't worry. Your partners are already here." Sayaka spoke without looking at you.

You felt a hand on your shoulder. You looked up to see who it was.

"Thank goodness it's you...... Mary!"

She smiled at you and sat on her seat. Then she locked eyes with Rei who was also smiling at her.

'No way ....' your smile slowly disappeared, in realizing what was happening. You lowered your head, almost ready to give up.

"Y/n!" a bubbly voice called out.

You looked up to see Yumeko sitting beside Rei, waving at you.

"Yumeko?"

"Goodluck. Give me a good gamble, alright?"

'Should I be happy or not that it's Yumeko on the other side? She's too unpredictable though ' you thought. 'Did she betray me too? But Yumeko isn't the kind to play a predetermined match, right?'

"This is going to be fun. I've waited so long to be able to gamble against you again, Yumeko."

"Me too, Mary! I love gambling with you."

"We're enemies here."

"I know."

'What? What? What's on their minds? If they're enemies, then one of them is on Rei's side, right? Who is it? Who is it? It can't be Yumeko, right? But then why is Mary fighting at my side if she's not the traitor? I am so confused. What do I do? And then here's Sayaka, presiding over our match. She's definitely an enemy. If I cheat, will she call me out? And even if I notice my enemy, cheating... will she accept it?'

"You look flustered." Rei spoke to you. "You could still back out. It's alright. If you're chickening then go run crying to your girlfriend. It's the best you do."

"Don't pull me down with you Y/n. I want to win this match against Yumeko. Get your act together." Mary told you.

"Ye... yes.."

"Y/n..." Yumeko called.

"Yea?"

"Let's enjoy the game, okay?"

"Huh?"

Sayaka began shuffling the cards in her hands. You've got too much on your mind right now to listen to her explanations. Even when she had began giving the cards to each player, you were still out of it.

'I've got no choice, I just have to fight and hope my cards are good. I've got to depend on my luck. I'm trapped here.'

You grabbed your cards and focused on it. You can't look anywhere else. It felt like they were mocking you, laughing at how stupid you look right now. You can imagine their eyes staring at you with contempt.

'Damn it. I can't do this...'

"It's your turn Y/n." Mary said.

"I'm still thinking!"

"We're only beginning. Don't be so uptight."

"Shut up!"

"Sheesh. Just throw a card."

"Dammit!"

You threw a card, it's no use thinking over it. You can't plan a strategy with the tension you're feeling and whatever you plan will be for naught anyway. Everyone's an enemy. I can't trust anyone but myself.

You lost the first match. The second round is starting and you still feel constricted. This is a losing game. Why do you still fight? Just give up and die.

"Y/n. Can you stop being pathetic. I have to win."

"Why?"

"I need the money."

"Huh?"

"Look. Just gamble, okay?"

"Aren't you the traitor?"

"Does it matter right now? We're gambling here. Do you think I'd let myself lose against Yumeko?"

"Then.. is it Yumeko?"

"As I said. It doesn't matter. Just play."

You bit your lip and tried to focus. You got a good hand this round. After a few round, you and Mary won. You barely made it but at least you won. It lifted up your spirits. You felt relief and happiness, you didn't notice your hands raise towards Mary, asking for a high five which she gladly gave.

"Good job Y/n!" she said, smiling at you.

"Huh?"

'Why is she happy? We're supposed to lose so Rei could win, right? She's the traitor, right? So why...."

You looked around, Yumeko was smiling at you. Rei too and even Sayaka.

'What's going on? Isn't this supposed to be a match to bring me down?'

"We'll be starting the third round. Is everyone ready?" Sayaka asked.

"Yeah!"

"I'm always ready."

"Let's do it."

They were all looking at you, waiting for your response. They don't look hostile at all. Not like how you were imagining earlier. They look more like they're.... enjoying it. Like friends gathering for a friendly match.

'Did I misunderstood things? But.... If it's just a friendly match, why do they have to go and plan it like they we're betraying me?'

"Y/n.. Are you back with us?" Mary asked. "If you're done being pathetic then it's time to get serious."

"Huh?"

"Let's do it. Let's see how good you really are." Rei said, she looked at you intimidatingly.

"Y/n. Let's get our freak on. Let's truly immerse ourselves in gambling."

You smirked, feeling they're competitiveness seeping in to you.

"Fine. Let's bet our lives, then"

Everyone's eyes shine when they heard what you said. You can feel the excitement in the air.

'That's right... I studied gambling for this exact same feeling. I can't give up just because I'm unsure of who's friend or foe. It's part of the gamble. I just have to jump in and face everything head on. Gambling isn't something you do with certainty of winning. That defeats its purpose. If you know you'd win, then it isn't a gamble at all.'

"Thanks for going through everything just to remind me." you said. "But right now, we're all enemies. Don't expect mercy from me."

------

meh ಡ ͜ ʖ ಡ

Start the countdown lololol