Chapter 4 : Modern Day Life Lesson Three

A/N: HIIIIIIII!!!! I came back and made some changes to the part about how the girls learned about the modern world since I saw a lot of people wanting to read it, so here you go~~~ I expanded chapter 4 into two parts and this one is the first part, hope you enjoy!!!

Subaru was being cuffed by heavy metal chains, beaten up and thrown against a wall. In front of him stood a dozen of people, all hooded. Subaru couldn't move nor did he have the strength to. He was powerless, he couldn't feel anything, all he knew was that life was leaving him little by little.

"Sate, sate sate sate, let us continue what we didn't finish last time, shall we?" The person standing right in front of Subaru bent down, his eyes widening in excitement. "Last time we hung the blue demon, this time we have more options! The red demon, the silver half elf, or the artificial spirit??" Betelgeuse asked, scratching his face, his eyes rolling.

"Aren't you going to choose?? Aren't you going to make decisions? Who dies, who lives, it's all up to you!" Betelgeuse shouted, and three hung figures appeared before them. The figures were in midair with their arms stretched and their heads tilted, and all were dripping blood.

"Now, time to choose!!" Betelgeuse said as he pulled Subaru's head upward, facing the three figures. "Three! Two! One!" He shouted, putting his hand around his ear, trying to hear Subaru's answer. But Subaru merely stared up blankly, making no sound.

Betelgeuse stared at him for a few seconds, and grabbed his chin, moving his mouth. "Hai~~ Betelgeuse-san, I choose myself~~" Subaru's mouth moved like a doll of a ventriloquist. As Betelgeuse stopped speaking, the three figures exploded, and blood splattered everywhere.

"You killed them! You killed them!! You!! The slothful man who thinks for only yourself!!! Killed them like you killed her!!!" Betelgeuse shouted, his body twisting. "AH~~ such sensation!! Nou ga furueruuuuuuu!!" He shouted and his body twisted back, twitching. "Anata wa, hontouni, taida desu ne..." Betelgeuse whispered.

Subaru heard a mad laughter, and it was growing louder and louder. He was laughing, the laughter came from his own mouth. And the scene flashed, and switched to a forest, where he was with two other people. "Subaru...?" A voice asked. "You alright, Subaru?" Another voice asked.

Subaru stood there. "Subaru? Subaru tte... dare no koto desu? Watashi wa Majyokyou Taizaishikyou, Taida Tantou... Betelgeuse Romanee-Conti...." Subaru said, turning slowly to them. "...Desu!!" His head twisted.

And at the same moment, Subaru jumped up from his bed, yelling in fear. "Subaru-kun?" A vague, soft voice said. "What? Where...?"
"Suabru-kun!"
"I'm not him! No!"
"Subaru-kun!!" The soft voice shouted and he was pulled into a hug.

".....Huh....?" Subaru muttered, his vision coming into focus. "Did Subaru-kun have a nightmare?" The voice asked softly. Subaru felt his hair being caressed. "Oh....." Subaru muttered, and yawned, and realized who was hugging him.

"R-Rem??" Subaru said, pulling himself away from her hastily. "S-Sorry... nightmare..." Subaru muttered, getting off his bed. "Rem will always be here if Subaru-kun is in need." Rem said, smiling. "Breakfast is ready." Rem said, and left the room.

Subaru got changed, and sat on the edge of his bed, his face buried in his hands. He hadn't had that nightmare for quite a while, but the wound in his heart had never healed. Occasionally he would revisit the cave in his dreams, and sometimes the green-skinned man would pop out in his head while he slept as well, but what he just had for nightmare was something new, something more horrible and haunting.

"Barusu, if you don't get out at this instance Ram swears she will slice your door into piece and cut your legs!" Ram's irritated voice came from outside, making Subaru jump. "Okay okay I'm coming!" Subaru shouted as he ran out his room. "Geez, you didn't have to be this angry. It's not like that I'm deliberately ignoring you." Subaru said bitterly as he arrived at the table, around which sat Emilia, Beatrice, playing with Puck, and Rem, and standing beside the table and holding a spatula in her hand, was Ram.