Chapter 87: Modern Day Life Graduation Part One

A/N: It is here! Time for the graduation to begin!! What might happen here?? Time to find out!!! Here's chapter 87!! Please enjoy!!!

Subaru's eyes flung open as soon as the first chirp of the birds outside the window sounded on the following morning. He just lay there in bed, staring up at the ceiling, feeling the warm and comforting touch from Rem and Beatrice's body and listening to their soft breathing. Judging by the fact that Rem was still asleep, Subaru guessed that it was probably not even five in the morning yet. The sun, not every risen above the horizon, was emitting very faint sunlight that was mostly shielded by the clouds, making the view outside still dim, and the bits of light that escaped the blockade of the curtains gave the room a somewhat faint glow.

Subaru continued to let himself lie in bed, thinking about nothing in particular. Bits and bits of memories flashed before his eyes as the thought about the graduation ceremony came to his mind. Graduation, for the longest time, felt merely like a concept to him, not something that was about to happen to him any time soon. He got back to school with the girls, began a brand new life, managed to break through his greatest obstacles, hyped up the past two semesters to an unforeseen level, experienced one final vacation with the girls and his friends that felt like it lasted for almost an eternity, and now there it was, the concept graduation, no longer a mere concept to him but a reality, a reality that was rather exciting and honestly slightly frightening.

And then the question that had been hovering over his head all this time came back as well. What was he going to tell Hinata, Aki, Haruka, and his parents when he would be gone? Too many coverup stories and too many lies had already occurred to him, and none of them felt right. His guts was telling him that about this matter, he should be frank with them, at least sticking to what they believed was the truth. But was that really enough? That question also occurred to him for too many times already. If I told them, will they believe, will they support, will they accept, will they rage, will they be disappointed, will they be upset, will they be... sad? These questions always came one after another whenever Subaru wanted to sort out his mind. Even up till the graduation date, Subaru still couldn't find a satisfactory answer. "I guess... no answer, is the only answer, in this case." Subaru muttered to himself.

The birds outside were waking up more and more, tweeting and singing their morning songs, and at the same time, the biological clock inside Rem's body was waking her up as well. She shifted slightly, raising her hand to her face, and let out a small yawn. Giving her eyes a few light rubs, she turned to Subaru's side, wanting Subaru to be the first thing that came into her sight everyday, as she did everyday, and today, the blue eyes were greeted with the sharp eyes that were usually still closed at this time of the day. "Ohayougozaimasu, Subaru-kun." Rem said softly. Her morning voice sounded exceptionally gentle, and Subaru smiled back, greeting her with a voice slightly dryer than his usual energetic voice. "Ohayou, Rem." Subaru said.

Perhaps it was because of how rare it was for Subaru and Rem to wake up at the same time, or perhaps it was because Beatrice muttered something like "No Betty didn't eat those chocolate cookies you hid in the cabinet, Subaru, in fact..." at the moment, or perhaps it was because of the fact that Rem guessed correctly why Subaru was up this early in the morning, the smile on her face was softer than usual. "Rem will be doing her routines now, Subaru-kun." Rem said, got up from the bed gently, and went to the bathroom. Subaru watched the door close, and he sat up, careful not to disturb Beatrice who was still sleeping soundly.

He looked down at her peaceful sleeping face, his hand absently caressing her softly on the head. "Na, Bea-ko, remember that huge fight we had before we gained this special bond? You told me many things. You told me many things about yourself. You told me how you hoped everything never happened and you were still back in Lugnica, how you hoped you never formed the relationships with the people here and how you hoped you never came to regard this world as your home as well, how you have seen so many people come in and out of your life, and how you just want to shut yourself away from any other people." Subaru said quietly, remembering Beatrice shouting at him during that night in Kusatsu.