Chapter 86: Modern Day Life Lesson Fifty

A/N: Heeeeyyyyy I'm back with more chapters!!! It is hard to believe, but we have actually arrived at the final arc of the whole story!!! Man this is unbelievable! This thing spans my high school and college life lol I really put a lot of effort and time into this fanfic and I'm very proud that I am able to round it up and give it an end at last!!!! It's a little sad that this rezero fic is coming close to its ending, but it's not the end of my time here!! I will be continuing writing!! And thank you all for all your supports throughout the years!!! You all mean a great deal to me!!! I plan to make a huge update as usual but apparently I don't have as much time as I expected, so here's one chapter for you. Not sure how many chapters there will be as always, but I promise this will be a firm end!!! Please enjoy!!!

"Mom, Dad, Hinata, Aki, Haruka, I need to tell you something, something... very important." Subaru said, his voice quiet and shaking slightly. His parents and three friends sat across him in the living room, looking back at him with rather unreadable expressions. "In the near future, I will be leaving the country with the girls back to their homeland. It's not somewhere you'd have heard of because it's... very far away... in a different universe. Once I go, there will be no return for me, so I want to say goodbye now properly." Subaru finished and gulped, waiting for a response. He didn't dare look at their faces and kept his face down. Sweat was rolling down his forehead and dropping on his gripped hands. For a long time, there was only silence, and when Subaru couldn't take it anymore and looked up, he found five disappointed and angry faces looking back at him.

"What is the meaning of this, Natsuki? You're just ditching us and heading off to a fantasy world with your harem?" Aki's cold voice pierced through his ears. "Leaving us behind to burn in this shit of a world, are you?" Haruka followed. "And you wouldn't offer to bring us along, bring me along, when you know fully that we, I, would want anything more than that?" Hinata's uncharacteristically chilly voice asked, his eyes showing suppressed anger. Subaru started to speak again, but his tongue was twisted into a tight knot and his throat was blocked by an invisible something, preventing him from talking or making any noises. The worst of all was the looks his parents were showing him. "Son, are you saying you are shaking off all of your responsibilities in this world and escaping to another? I did not raise you like this, Subaru, I did not raise a coward." Kenichi said. "Responsibility wise, we know sometimes it could be harsh, but being so cold-blooded and leaving behind your parents? That is just cruel, from someone we have poured so much love into." Naoko said.

Every word uttered by the five of them tore Subaru's heart apart; every disappointed look they gave him crushed him from all directions. Their backs turned against him, the five of them were walking away. At the same time, the whole world seemed to start melting into white hot light, and Subaru sprang to his feet, running after them and stretching out his arms at them. "No!! No that's not what I mean!! I meant none of that!! I...!!! I...!!! Your love and trust mean the world to me!!! Don't just... leave like that!!!!" Subaru shouted, taking even longer strides as he sprinted at his loved ones that were fading away into the blinding brightness. The five figures dissolved into nothingness, and the bright light intensified further, and Subaru was engulfed by the distorting world.

Quite suddenly, Subaru bolted up straight, breathing fast and shallow breaths and shuddering. Cold sweat had drenched his clothes, and for quite a while he could only see the darkness filling his room. Finally, when he calmed down a bit, he felt the warm hands holding both of his and the soft voices calling his name. "Subaru, it's alright, in fact. Betty is here, just ease your breathing first, Betty supposes." Beatrice's voice said on his right side. "Subaru-kun, please drink some water too." Rem's voice said on his left side. Subaru's eyes were now more adjusted to the darkness now, and he saw Rem, sitting on the edge of the bed, holding a glass of water. Subaru took the glass and took a deep gulp. Some water dripped down his chest, but the cool water was calming, and as he finished the last gulp, he let out a sigh in relief. "Thanks, Rem, Bea-ko. I'm a lot better now. Sorry 'bout disturbing you. Just had a bad dream, no biggie." Subaru said, smiling.