Chapter 62: Modern Day Life Lesson Forty Five

A/N: Okay, this one should be the last part of this update!! Here's chapter 62!!! Please enjoy!!!

That night, Subaru slept very badly. He kept dreaming about Emilia falling into the same loop of hell as he and Hinata, Aki, and Haruka did back then, getting bullied badly and turning into a completely different person. He woke up multiple times, trembling and drenched with cold sweat, and Rem and Beatrice, sleeping beside him, calmed him down every time, sounding worried however. And finally, after an unbearably long night, the sun had risen, and morning had arrived. The residents in the apartment woke up one after another, and when they all gathered at the table, the scene felt odd.

It was probably the first morning that Emilia wasn't there when they were having breakfast, and just the thought alone was enough to make Subaru feel extremely painful. They ate the food silently, and although Rem's cooking was as perfect as always, something was off, something was just not right when there were not five people sitting around the dining table. The gloomy breakfast soon ended, and the four set off for school. As they walked, Subaru looked up at the sky. It was a very cloudy day, unlike yesterday, which was a bright and sunny day. A few raindrops fell on his forehead. "Even the sky is crying, Emilia..." He thought as they held their school bags over their heads and broke into a run.

They arrived at the school gate, and on their way there the four met up with Hinata, Aki, and Haruka. She told them that Emilia had taken their advice and decided to take a day off. Thanking her for letting her stay again, Subaru and the rest of them headed for their classroom. Because of the drizzle, students didn't just surround them like they did yesterday, however, as soon as they entered the school building, the students around them all started whispering to one another, pointing at them, and exchanging rather unreadable looks. Nevertheless, they were not acting as violet as they were yesterday. "Small comfort..." Subaru thought bitterly to himself. Just then, Shiori, Nico, Kotoha, Yui, and Aya came up to them.

"We believe Emilia-san, senpai! We believe you as well!" Shiori said firmly as the others nodded. More whispers broke out, but Subaru felt that it was just what he needed at the moment. "Thank you, minna. I really appreciate it. It means a lot..." He said, smiling faintly. They got the girls and their classmates back to their classroom and went back to theirs. The four weren't talking when they put down their bags and sat down, and several guys and girls Subaru managed to get on better terms after he came back to school approached them. "We're all rooting for you, and Emilia-san as well." The guy standing at the front said, giving him a pat on the shoulder. "...Yeah, thanks." Subaru said, nodding at them. "Nice to know there are still reasonable people around here." He said, and they chuckled. "Guess we're just lucky, that we got to know you all a bit better than those people." A girl said.

Subaru finally smiled, and it felt a bit numb because he hadn't been doing that for several long hours. "Thanks, guys." He said, and Hinata let out a great sniff, and everyone turned to him. "Sorry sorry, I'm just really moved, you know?" He said, wiping his face and sniffing more, and more people managed a small laugh. A few minutes later, the bell rang, and Kishitsuji sensei entered the classroom, the expression on his face more stern than usual. "Ohayou gozaimasu, mina-san. Please kindly assemble at the Great Hall, we would like to speak to you regarding the incident yesterday." He said, and everyone got up without a word and started walking to the Great Hall.

Subaru's class walked quite silently, but other classes did not. As they slowly strode toward the hall, the corridors were echoing with, apart from the sound of their footsteps, murmurs and whispered that never died down. Subaru and his three friends were feeling apprehensive, worried that the teachers might make the situation even worse, but at the same time, hoping that there might be some miracle that would just make everyone forget what happened. In no time, they were back at the Great Hall, where less than twenty four hours ago happy events were taking place and people were laughing and simply enjoying themselves. Subaru sighed as he stepped through the entrance. "Please let it not make things get even worse..." He prayed.