Chapter 2 : Modern Day Life Lesson One

A/N: HIIIIIIIII!!!!!!! I'M BACK!!!!!!! IT'S BEEN A REALLY REALLY REALLY LONG TIME SINCE I UPDATED THE FIRST CHAPTER!!!! AND SORRY TO THOSE WHO'S BEEN WAITING!!!! HERE'S CHAPTER 2!!!! PLEASE ENJOY!!!!!
*Edit* Just to clarify something in case readers get confused. When this fic was first being written I only watched the first season of the re zero anime and I didn't know Subaru lived with his parents so here I just made it up that he lived alone. About halfway through writing this fic I went to read the LN and realized that there are some parts here that didn't match the LN's settings, but I just decided to go with what I initially planned anyways. So I apologize here if anything in the fic causes any confusion. Thanks for reading and please enjoy :D

"Subaru! What's happening now??"
"Barusu, tell us what's going on!"
"Subaru-kun..."
"You know anything about this world? Why're you making that face?" The four girls surrounding Subaru fired countless questions at him, but none of them went through his mind. Subaru's mind was spinning rapidly, not being able to absorb anything just yet.

"Wait a moment..." He murmured, and turned away and walked toward the convenience store behind him. "Subaru-kun...?" Rem said, reaching out her hand. "Don't worry, I'll be back in no time." Subaru gave her an assuring smile, and entered the shop.

"What really is going on now? Ram's mind can't keep up with it!" Ram said, holding her head. "As far as Betty knows, we've been accidentally dropped in another dimension, Betty supposes." Beatrice said, folding her arms. "Beatrice, can you explain it more clearly?" Emilia asked, looking worried. "Simply put, we've been transported to another world, in fact." She said. "Betty's going to kill Roswaal when we get back, Betty supposes!!" She added angrily through gritted teeth.

"Ah, Subaru-kun!" Rem waved as she saw him walking back to them, looking rather lifeless. "Well, welcome." He said, sighing. "Welcome to what, Barusu?" Ram asked. "Welcome to my world." He said flatly, and sighed again.

"Your world?" Emilia asked, tilting her head. "Yeah, I've been summoned to your world for some reason three months ago. That's why I looked so out of tune with people there." Subaru said. The girls all gaped at him. "So what you are saying is... this is the other side of the Great Waterfall?" Emilia asked, coming to a conclusion that surprised Subaru. "Ah?" He asked blankly, his mind not really following the conversation.

"Wait what? You think this dim and dirty place is the other side of the Great Waterfall, Emilia-sama? That can't be." Ram said in an unbelieving tone. "But Emilia-sama could be right, Nee-sama. No one knows what it is like beyond the Great Waterfall, and this... this just might be it." Rem said, frowning slightly, and all three of them turned to Beatrice, who seemed to be ruminating on something.

"If you want answers, Betty is afraid that she doesn't have any, Betty supposes. But from what Betty understands, this might not be the other side of the Great Waterfall, in fact. After all, this world and ours don't exist in the same dimension, Betty supposes. We are, if Betty isn't mistaken, in a parallel universe. And he," Beatrice said, pointing at Subaru. "Seems to know something, Betty supposes." She finished, looking skeptically at Subaru, whose mouth was still open and eyes unfocused.

"Subaru, is it true that you know about this place?" Emilia asked, tilting her head. Turning to her slowly, Subaru's mouth moved but no words came out. "Don't panic, Subaru-kun. Take a deep breath first." Rem said softly, looking at the expression on Subaru's face. Several moments later, Subaru shook his head vigorously. "Wait wait wait wait wait just wait for now! I say this is my world and you all just buy it like that?" Subaru said, utterly shocked.

The girls all exchanged looks and set their eyes back on Subaru. "What's the reason not to?" Emilia asked, and Rem nodded. "Subaru-kun, we trust you, so if you say this is your world, then we believe you." Rem said, looking at Subaru in the eyes. "Plus, it explains a lot when you start blabbering nonsense, Barusu." Ram added. "Yes, it's all coming together, Betty supposes." Beatrice said at last, rolling her eyes.