Chapter 76: Modern Day Life Graduation Trip Part Ten

A/N: Chapter 76!!!! Go!!!!!

Why did I return?
What caused the activation of "Returns by Death"?
Who could have done that?
What could have done that?
Why did I have to go through that again?
Why did all our time together have to be reset again?
Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?
Please, just tell me why...

"Subaru, you feeling better now?" Hinata asked concernedly fifteen minutes after Subaru vomited unexpectedly. Subaru was now back to a slightly more calmed state, having been given some water and medicine. "A bit, thanks, Hinata." Subaru replied, inhaling deeply and exhaling slowly. "I thought you don't get airsick, Natsuki." Aki said, sounding a bit worried too. "Yeah, I thought I didn't, sorry." He said, twisting the plastic bag in his hand shut. A flight attendant came to him and asked if he needed anything else. Subaru told her that he was feeling better, and the four thanked her together politely.

Having finally calmed down and felt slightly better, Subaru closed his eyes, covering his face with his hands and rubbing his temples. The darkness made his brain start to work better, and he started to think, ruminating on what he just experienced. Watching colorful stars popping out in the darkness in front of him, Subaru spoke to himself in his mind. "Keep cool, Subaru, don't panic, keep cool first. Earlier, I was on the beach with everyone else, just finishing lunch. Before that, we spent some time playing in the water and parasailing, and Bea-ko and I survived a fatal accident. And before the beach, day two and day one of the trip also happened... This is weird, too weird... It felt so vivid, so real, and it didn't feel much different from past Returns by Death experiences..." His thought came to a pause because something odd crossed his mind.

"Didn't feel much different from past Returns by Death experiences...? Not much different...? Really...? No...! No wait! The... The whisper...! That didn't come!! She wasn't there when it happened! She reached me last time when I was talking with Kaichou, but not this time...!! Maybe... Maybe that wasn't 'Returns by Death' getting activated! Maybe that was just... just an overly vivid dream... or something else... or... I don't know, but it's possible that I didn't die!" Subaru's mind was working rapidly, stringing one thing with another, reaching a possible answer and encountering more new questions. Finally, he decided to confirm with Rem and Beatrice when they got off the plane, not to reveal to them about what he experienced, but to ask about something that only they have the answer to.

"Natsuki, are you really alright?" Haruka's concerned voice said beside him, and Subaru pulled his face away from his palms, turning to her. "Yeah yeah I am. I'm just trying to not get dizzy again." Subaru said, and Hinata turned around and stuck his head over the seat. "I'll give you another bag just in case. It's better to just let it out than forcing it in." He said, handing him another plastic bag. "Alright thanks, Hinata." Subaru said, taking the plastic bag. There was a quick pause, and all three chuckled at the sudden changes of the roles. "Oi, sit still. If you get all worked up and start throwing up again I'm throwing you out the window." Aki said, and Hinata sat back down, laughing. "I'll bear that in mind, Aki!" He said, saluting at him, and he chuckled as well. The small conversation, along with the fact that Subaru had made up his mind about what to do next, lifted his mood considerably, and soon, the rest of the flight went by without more trouble, and they landed at the airport.

"...Your luggages would be delivered to our hotel, and please come back to the airport by eight..." Subaru, under the cover of the teachers giving out notices and the students paying less attention to their surroundings, quietly left his class and went to find Rem and Beatrice, the two girls he was yearning to talk to. Bent slightly, Subaru navigated through the crowd, and in no time, he heard Matsushita sensei's voice. "Now come to think of it, this feeling of deja vu is a little bit scary... everything is exactly the same. Seriously, what was that dream about??" He muttered, and the backs of the girls came into sight.