Chapter Twenty Seven: Sweet Gestures

{Dedicated to @SanaShaikh22 for being an amazing supporter. Love you, big sis!}

‘I've seen many strong people. Who hide their emotions so well; in their laughters or in their smiles. So, this is completely wrong when people say 'eyes are the door to your emotions'. It's a lie, because strong people hide every bit of their struggling in their eyes too.' Maahirah FurqaanSD

Chapter Twenty Seven

Sweet Gestures

(Maahirah Furqaan)

I let out a huff of air that I have been holding in all the way to Aayan's mother's room. And as his hand wrap around the door knob, my heartbeat increases to its threshold.

He twists the knob and gives it a little budge. He looks at me and gestures for me to get in...but… I all shake my head.

The thing is that I do not know how to talk or act in front of sick people Do I go all happy? Or do I go all forlorn about it?

Aayan clears his throat. "What's wrong?" He is looking at me and somehow another doubt builds in my head....Why is Aayan being so sweet and genuine to me when all along in the past he had been everything but nice to me..!?

His eyes pierce into mine, deeply. And I simply have the audacity to turn around. 

"Maahirah, what's wrong?" Concern laces out of his words.

I don't know. I bite my lip. Taking deep breathe, I turn to face him. "Um, nothing." I shake my head. “Will she hate me for not coming to see her early?"

He gives me a lopsided smile, the left side of his smile higher than the right one. "No. She won't. You will love her."

I nod, slowly.

"Ready?"

"Yeah."

He gets in first, me following him. The room is dimly lit. It is painted in light blue colour and there is just a closet and a bed. My eyes meet her. She is on the bed. Her back firmly pressed against the headboard. Inayah is sprawled next to her. Her head supported on her mother’s arm. My mother-in-law smiles at me. And, somehow, I feel tears building up in my eyes. I curl my fingers and ball them into fist and dig my nails into my palm – just to control the flow of tears.

“As’salamu Alaiykum!” I say out loud to Aayan’s brothers (Haazim, Haaziq and Fakhir) and his mother.

“Walaikom As’salam, child.” I don’t hear other reply except her. She beckons me to sit on the chair. Her face is glistening with Noor.

 “What about me, Mum?” Aayan pouts.

“Sit on the floor, Aayan.” His mother rolls her eyes.

“Jeez, it is cold. Sorry.” With that he flops on the bed.

I inwardly smile at his cuteness.

Aayan's mother, with the aid of her hips pushes herself closer to me. I'm unable to watch her and I quickly push the chair near the bed.

She grabs my hand in hers and smiles lovingly at me.

"I'm so glad to meet you. Masha'Allah, Allah has bestowed such beauties on my sons."

I flush. She meant me and Fadiya.

She opens her mouth to say something but instead someone else says it.