[FS]: Chapter Six: It's On

CHAPTER SIX

It's On

(Aayan Aslam)

16th January.

"Listen to me, Maahirah. Hello??"

Beep-Beep.' The line on the other end mocks me.

I growl at my phone. Maahirah actually hung up my call when I specifically told her not to. I think to call her again but that would be useless, she must have switched off her phone.

I close my eyes and take long three drags of air. Getting up from the bed, I walk over to the window, thinking of my new move.

It's obvious I've got a less time. My every second counted. I've to do so much in so little time.

a) Aseer has cancer.

b) Maahirah hates my gut.(Not a new thing! *eye roll*)

c) Aseer wants to meet her daughter but she isn't sure how.

And, d) I need to make peace with Inayah.

So, where that puts me.

From my window, I see the Elton River is sparkling crystal solid. The grass around it is covered with a white sheet of cloudy snow. Ideal, for ice-skating. And, suddenly I know what I've to do first.

I turn around and quickly put on my jacket and woolen cap at the same time I text the twins and Fakhir.

'Meet me outside Inayah's room in five minutes. We're goin' ice-skating. ;)'

When I'm at my sister's door, I rap three times against it.

"God. What's the rush? I'm coming." I hear her rustling and bustling inside the room. She bolts the lock and draws the door open.

Inayah starts to say something but her mouth clamps shut when she sees it's me. Instead her million-dollar, dimpled smile turns to a scowl.

"It's Mr.Grumpy Pants. I don't want to talk to you." She pushes the door to make it shut, but I put the toe of my shoe in it, forcing her to stop.

"I want to apologize." I say.

I stand in the middle of her room, awkwardly. The walls pink. The bedspread pink. The closet pink. The dresser pink. Everything in dire shade of pink.

"Don't you think that's a little too much pink?"

She is standing by the door, hands folded in front of her, eyes at the wall clock (again, pink!).

"You wasted ten seconds of your two minute time."

It's then I see the striking resemblance. Pride. Ego. Stubbornness. Attitude. She is blend of my and Haaziq's genes. She is our Dad.

I take a deep breath. "Look Inayah things haven't really been easy on me. I'm balancing three lives at a time. One, as a popstar. Second, as a popstar who disguises himself when not rocking the stage. And the third, as a guy who is trying to save Elton and its people. On top of that, Maahirah's anger towards me never makes sense. No matter how many times I make peace with her." I close my eyes and then stare at her. Her expressions have softened.

"So, Inayah, I ask you to be the good guy here and look past my mistake and let's go for ice-skating. "

She swallows and blink back tears. "Your time is up. Let's go."

So stubborn. I shake my head. Walking up to her, I ruffle her hair. "Get ready in two minutes. I'm in the hallway."

Like always, she slaps my hand away. "Sure. And, it's fine, Aayan. I was never angry."