Chapter Nine: A Catastrophe

{Dedicated to  @SapphireCrystal_28 for supporting me with such enthusiasm which always leaves me in awe!! Thank you very much!!:) <3}Best of luck for your exams, darling!:) }

x_________________________x

Chapter Nine

A Catastrophe

(Maahirah Furqaan)

I stare at Summer as she crouches on her knees, and her loud wrecking sobs fill the air. The thing which surprises me is that I feel no sympathy towards her. Every second that ticks off, feels agonizing and excruciating, leaving me only impatient and angry.

"I'm so sorry....I really am..." She starts saying this between her cries.

"Why?" I question her, not bothering to hide the disgust in my voice.

“I'm so sorry!" She sniffs.

"Will you quit saying that?" I clench my fists.

"B...but, I honestly didn't want to do it, but Sandra made me do it!"

l look at her - her disheveled condition is enough to tell me that she won't notice if I snatch whatever is in her hand.

Summer continues to wail. I walk a little closer to her, and bending, I snatch the thing from her hand. A loud shriek escapes her throat. She tries to pull out of my hand, but I push her away. For a second, I start chanting in my head hit hit hit. But her head doesn't hit the bed's end.

I unclench my fist, and look at the small tiny blue packet in my palm. My eyes bulge out as I realize what it is. Pills. They are pills.

Rectangular, whitish small pills.

I turn the packet over and upside down to know what is. But there is nothing written on it. Simple blue shiny small, packet.

"What are these? Were you trying to kill me?"

“Nytol, and no, I wasn’t trying to kill you!” Her breaths are steady now.

Nytol! Sleeping pills.

"Sandra gave it to me." She swallows.

“Why?”

"To make sure that you would be in a deep slumber the whole day." Her face tear-stained, as she wipes the lingering tears on her cheeks.

"Why?" I ask again.

"She wanted you out of the way. And, I told her they have nothing going on, but she won't listen. She said she was hundred percent sure that something was going on between you and him. She told me," Another sob escapes.” If I wouldn't put the pills in your bottle, she would unveil my true self."

Fear runs down my spine." Who is he?"

"Aayan!" She says.

I blink. I wanted to laugh, but I couldn't. I wanted to tell her that there is nothing going on, but I couldn't. I wanted to ask what did she mean by unveiling her true self, but my mouth stays clamp; as of someone has glued my lips with super sticky glue.

All I say is," We'll talk in the morning. It's late."

She doesn't argue, or maybe she does but I didn't hear her. Picking up the water bottle, I throw it in the dustbin; and cover it with papers just to hide the bad deed committed by her.

After changing my clothes into something more comfortable, I get in the bed. Summer's bed is next to the table which separates the two beds. I pull the covers up, and turning off the lamp, I lay on my right side - my hands tugged under my head.