[FS]: Chapter Eight: Middle of Nowhere

(Dedicated to you  for all the love and support.)<3

Chapter Eight

Middle of Nowhere

(Maahirah Furqaan)

17th January.

I lean my head against the window, watching the world zip by, the tableau of dark conifer trees wrapped up in dotted, wisp snow as if they are covered by this white sheet, promising to bloom back in spring. Dark, gloomy clouds loom over us, and it's so cold outside that the windows keep fogging up and I kill time by yawning into the condensation, again and again.

I do everything I can to not look at the person on my left, even if continually staring outside has made my neck stiff and my head dizzy. But, I don't glance his way. And, just I'm praising myself in my head, he ruins it. Aayan snaps his fingers in front of me, making me jump in my seat.

"Open the dashboard." He orders.

I clench my fists, and mentally pummel him in my head, and doing what he said.

"That plastic bag, take it out."

I pull the yellow bag and give it to him, without looking at him and snap the dashboard shut. Second later, I hear a rustle, and a 'poof' followed by waft of cheese snipping my nostrils, and my stomach grumble. He takes it in his mouth, and purposefully crunches loudly.

He doesn't offer me, and I'm glad for it. The next hour or so passes with him munching on his treat, and me staring at the scenery, or leaning in the seat.

Just as a wave of sleep washes over me, the car stops, the engine dies and he removes the key from ignition. I look at him, annoyed.

"We're here," He states simply, getting down from the door. I sit properly and look around to find a cottage in the middle of nowhere. With its board siding and peeled log porch posts, the exterior looks to my eye more like a classic cabin than a cottage. The sky is a mixture of red, yellow and organ color, as the sun sets behind the horizon.

Aayan opens my door, and without asking for my consent, he clicks open my belt, and hauls me up.

"God, I'll not run. Let. Go." I cry out.

He doesn't pay heed to my words. He slams the door, and drags me with him. My legs aren't able to match with his long and hurried strides. I fall and trip over my own feet, but he doesn't reduce his speed, instead he lugs me on harder, making me pant and curse him. At this, he narrows his eyes at me, and automatically my eyes close like if I was expecting him to slap me.

"Shut up, Maahirah." He propels me to the wall as he digs into his pocket for keys when we are on the porch.

I rub my arm that he had held on so tight.

"In," He pushes me in to the dark and quickly shuts the door. When the door closes, the house illuminates with bright lights.

"Where are we?" I squint at the house. The inside, on the other hand, definitely says cottage with its white-painted board finishes accented by natural wood. On my left, it's the kitchen, with a small woodstove that sits between the eat-in kitchen and the living area. On my right is three four stepped staircase that probably leads to bathroom and right across from me is the ground-floor bedroom.

"At my home in the suburb of Minnesota."

I laugh. "You do have some psychological problem, don't you? Living in the middle of nowhere? Kidnapping me?"