Chapter Thirty One: Betrayed, Again?

Dedicated to_shehzaadi_for all the beautiful votes and comments.....❤❤

__________________

Chapter Thirty One

Betrayed Again?

(Maahirah)

The feeling you get when you are in a hospital; it doesn't come intentionally..it is present already innate - maybe from the time that we learn to talk...or maybe from the time when we are born. I don't know...but all I know is that hospital sucks.

The feeling that the hospital isn't really world's bestest place. Or the feeling that tells you that the hospital is basically a bad news. The feeling that creeps in and whispers most of the times doubt about person's life in the ICU. Yep, this all feelings seem to be a part of our heads, but they are real.

I didn't leave Aayan's hand. I want to give him a squeeze back, but he is holding my hand in an icy grasp making it numb - impossible to make a slight movement. He is counting on this intertwined hand as his last straw for aiding him in standing upright, straight.

"What does this disease even mean?" A voice whispers next to me. It is Haazim's.

I look at him. And I'm struck by the way he is swallowing everything. His face, it only shows a flicker of remorse otherwise he is composed himself very better than other Aslams.

"Sepsis or septicaemia is a bacterial disease. It develops due to the presence of bacteria in the blood." Mr.Brackson pauses and I notice the way he is collecting his words very careful. "It slowly eats up the body organs rendering them to die quickly. This can be often fatal. The organs that have been infected include lungs, brain, urinary tract, skin, and abdominal organs.Your mother's condition isn't just due to sepsis. It is also because of cardiac problems....please just listen to me now. Okay?"

"Her heartbeats are too slow. Currently, we are searching for a reason. She is having breathing problems...and," He takes a deep breath. "Her both kidneys are damaged too because of the disease."

I put my hand over my mouth.

"What do you mean damaged?" Aayan growls the words out.

"They have stopped functioning. We are waiting for them to start working again. In case, they don't, then dialysis is the answer." For the first time, Hope speaks who has been beside Mr.Brackson the entire time.

No one says anything for good long minutes. All I hear is rapid breathing. Maybe it is my own but I'm not sure anymore.

The loud bang of door distracts me and I'm surprised to find that Aayan has already left.

Mr.Brackson heaves out a sigh, and looks at other Aslams, pointedly, "All I ask you guys right now is to pray. We will try as much as we can but at the end, we are defeated by Nature's hand." With that he and Hope walk back inside.

My mother she gestures everyone to follow her out. When they are gone, I collapse on the chair and stare at the floor.

The floor is made of white tiles. The tiles are designed with small square lines; like, the one in which kindergarten kids learn to write numbers. It is weird how I'm comparing tile patterns with a Math exercise notebook.

Back then when we were kids how worries are - were like Mommy isn't gonna buy for us toys....and our only place to enjoy was the playground - or more specifically, the sand. And when we were preteens, we just desperately wanted to be with all those cool teens.