Chapter Thirty Nine: Promises & Gifts

Chapter Thirty Nine

Promises and Gifts

(Maahirah)

{This chapter is dedicated to my mother for being everything I ever want to be. For being my role model. For making me believe in supernatural powers because you multi-task things at the same time. You're my role model and for all that you do, I can never ever repay. I love you, Mom.}

-----------------------------------

'There is something about mothers; the way they JUST hold themselves with every problem whether big or small. The way they bury their emotions just to show us that they are okay. The way they cry when you're hurt even with just a scratch though you don't really feel hurt, but seeing her cry makes you cry. Mothers are the best gift of Allah to ever come in our life. They are a true blessing. They are superwomen' -Me.

The evening before the play

3:55 PM

16th December.

There is a gentle tap on my shoulder after every few seconds. At first, I swat it away, pulling the duvet over my head. Minutes later, I hear a light chuckle and again, I'm being shaken.

"Maahirah, wake up." It's Mom, with her tender voice and soothing hands

I mumble something incoherent.

She laughs. "Wake up, or you will be late."

Late for what?

"It's four o'clock and you need to be at school by four forty five."

This has me rattled up. I've thrown the covers off of me. I've say up straight and have pivoted my gaze on my wall clock and indeed, the needles mock me.

"My Goodness, Mom, why didn't you wake me up? I'm gonna be late."

"I wasn't speaking French minutes ago, honey." She smirks at me. Standing up, she dusts her jeans with her hands, and smiles at me. Leaning down, she drops a kiss on my forehead and winks.

"Have a nice shower. Your hair resembles hay. I'll see you downstairs."

I still stare at her retracing back in shock, in utter helplessness. Only when the door slams shut, I'm pulled out of my reverie.

"Oh, Allah, I've to get ready."

<><><><><><><><><><><>

When I'm ready in twenty minutes, I've rushed downstairs, and meet my parents and Vaneeza in the kitchen, having tea. I barely say anything to them, but, just as I'm about to grab my keys off the rack, Dad seizes my attention.

"Maahirah, come here a second."

I groan internally. "I don't have a second Dad, I'm already behind the time."