[FS] Chapter One: How Can I Act Like Nothing Ever Happened?

CHAPTER ONE

How Can I Live Like Nothing Ever Happened?

(Maahirah)

'If I had an idea to what love feels like, I wouldn't have had made a place from him in my heart.' Maahirah, FS.

6th January.

ALL I KNOW is that I'm hungry, very hungry. I can feel the muscle of my stomach wall, gnawing my skin. This 'hunger' stimulus is something new. Something that I haven't experienced in like three days after my return from Elton. And, a stimulus, like this needs an immediate response.

So, I get up from the bed and quickly, put on a robe. I rush out of my room, and tiptoe down the stairs because it's way past midnight and every one in my house is fast asleep.

I don't turn on the kitchen light. The moonlight through the windowpane is enough guidance. I pull the oven with its handle and it squeaks; which echoes in the kitchen. I stop, hearing any movement that I can feel coming from upstairs. When I hear nothing except, the constant hum of the window and the song of the cricket outside, I return to my work.

I quickly pull the oven and pick out the bread that Mom must have had baked yesterday morning. Putting it on the plate, I, with a bump of my hip, close the oven.

Just as I open the door of the refrigerator and peek at its contents, I hear a slight movement somewhere behind me. I straighten up, straining my ear. Silence.

Shaking my head, I bend down and just as I'm about to grab mayonnaise, something happens in just two seconds.

I feel a hand circles around my waist and their other hand, claps on my mouth, blocking my source of scream. My heart palpitates in my chest, and despite the dense, winter and the cold gas seeping out through the refrigerator, I've started sweating. The person pulls me into them, so now my back is pressed to their chest.

Sparks burst through my spine; like a jolt of electricity passing through me. Butterflies erupt in my stomach, almost like the lava vomiting out of a volcano. Instead of my heart to slow it's has started beating faster than before.

"Don't scream," His voice whispers in my ear.

I nod. He lets of his hand around my mouth and twists me around, and I come face to face with Aayan, my husband; and I stare at him, observing him; his face. His chocolate brown eyes glint in the moonlight. His lips full; ripe red, and his brown hair just as floppy and messy as I remember.

"What are you doing here? How did you get in? Wasn't the door locked? I'm sure I remember locking the doors. You couldn't have used the window." I take a deep breath. "Good, you're here. I miss you." I thrust my arms around him, hugging him, enjoying his warmth and his feel.

"Maahirah," Aayan says in his deep, husky, dangerous low voice. Oh, how much I miss his voice.

I melt internally. If it wasn't for his arm holding me, I'm sure I would have had tumbled down. I draw back. "Yeah,"

He swallows; his Adam's apple moving up and down. I see tears glistening in his eyes. "I miss you, too." He says, and leans down, and gives (liken he always does) a soft peck.

Seconds later, he pulls back, and when he closes his eyes and I blink, he's gone. He's gone. I look around frantically. Only his cologne the proof of his presence. I slam the door of the refrigerator. And, when I turn around, I see Aayan's body hanging from the chandelier in the hallway across from the kitchen. Blood oozing out of his neck as the wire presses to his throat. His eyes bulging out.