Chapter Twenty Two: Learning Truth Can Be Bitter

{Dedicated to @TheSilverist for beautiful comments and words, InShaaAllah I’ll check out the chapter you dedicated to me!:) }

x____________________x

I'm not going to ask Allah (SWT) to ease my burden. Because I know, He hasn't burdened me with what I cannot bear. He burdens His servant with what He believes he will be able to tolerate. Thus, all I ask Allah is for the help to pass this test.' Me.

Chapter Twenty Two

Sometimes Learning Truth Can Be Bitter

(Maahirah Furqaan)

It has been four days since my stay in Elton. Life, as unexpected, was a bit easier than I presumed it to be. I'm still seen as a newbie in here. I'm still struggling to adjust myself to their ways, customs and traditions. And it's not easy.

Everything in here has to be punctual. One second late and you're at risk. Back home, I used to break lot of rules and regulations without thinking about the consequences of my actions. However, here, I've to think twice before moving one step forward.

I made few friends. The girl I saw at the hospital, Destiny has been the kindest of all the 'few' friends. Inayah, she's been pretty much helpful but due to the age difference she cannot hang out with me often. Finally, there is Jarred, Destiny's love interest. He's a tough built guy and most of the times I don't get him and nor do I intend on knowing him.

My mother, Aseer said to me that the Eltonians are not the most welcoming people to be around and so far they have been everything but unwelcoming. I thought that she as usual was wrong but this was proved to me this morning when I was in the Grand Kitchen helping around as a part of my schedule.

You see, everybody leaving under this roof had to follow a certain schedule which was to be changed after every three days. My new schedule which I got today morning is a bit rough but not rougher than others.

Anyways, back to my story. Today in the kitchen, when I enter, the ladies all are huddled at the centre on one table, discussing something in loud hushed tones but on seeing me enter they disperse, completely ignoring my existence. 

And, just my luck I've no friend in the kitchen so I'm stuck myself kneading the flour for the pizza. There is this girl with reddish brown hair and intensifying grey eyes and another girl with blonde hair and pale blue eyes. The three of us knead the floor silently. The rest ten of them are busy with other tasks, like, making sauces and snacks and refreshments.

Faith, Destiny's older sister and Faith's best friend, Dinah are leaned against our table waiting for us to pass the proper dough.

I move my fist in a pronounced and careful direction. The gooey substance irritates me but I've to do this kneading or I'll be punished, severl. My mother's dialogue and not mine.  I find this whole task uncomfortable especially with a pin drop silence behind me which is because everyone is gawking at me, side by side with their work

I look at the girl with reddish brown hair with the corner of my eyes. She looks to be around thirteen and yet, she's concentrating on her work with her brows furrowed and every now and then, her lips part slightly because she's humming something softly.

"That's a beautiful melody!" I say.

She stops the movement of her hand and swallows her saliva. She tilts her head to right and hands the bowl of dough to Faith. "It's?"