Chapter Twenty Three: Training Phase One

<Dedicated to @Encaracolado for being so sweet and suportive.:)>

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand. -Vince Lombardi

Chapter Twenty Three

 Training Phase One

(Maahirah Furqaan)

"Training? What the hell?" I frown staring at Aseer.

"Yes. Training." She smiles.

"Um, elaborate?"

"I will. First you need to get changed." She stands up from her desk and walks up to the closet in her office. I look at her with my mouth open; trying to understand what she meant by training.

She protrudes out a track pant and a sweatshirt.

Cocking her head at tge door on the right side of the room, she says."Go put this on."

"But..."

"I said I'll explain Maahirah."

Gritting my teeth, I stride towards her and angrily snatch the clothing.

I get in the small room. It only has a window jammed shut. Rolling my eyes, I put on the clothes.

"Here." She thrusts a jacket into my chest when I exit.

"Jeez, Aseer. Cool down." I remark, subconsciously while putting on the jacket.

When I'm done, I flicker my gaze towards her to find her staring at me.

"What?" I adjust my hijab.

"You just called me Aseer."

I mentally face-palm myself. But I had to play cool."Yeah. I know." Yeah, you do. But you weren't supposed to say it out loud. "Isn't that your name?"

She closes her eyes."I'm your mother."

"Yes, you're. But a mother doesn't fill her daughter's head with stupid fables."

A look of pure hurt crosses her face but she quickly recovers as she presses her lips in a thin line."Let's go."

I watch her as she turns off her office lights and locks the door with the swipe of her card. She walks on. Her ramrod, rigid back is enough to tell me she's hurt more than she wanted to.

Deep down, I know I'm doing wrong. I'm very well-aware of it, and yet I continue. I continue being a selfish person.

I hurt people. I do. More importantly, I hurt my mother, a parent which according to Islam hurting them is a sin. I close my eyes and take deep breaths to clear my head.

We turn right and there my mother is stopped by Kathy, an High Official Member.

"Hello Aseer." She says and directs a curt nod at me.

"Hello Kathy. How can I assist you?"

"I was wondering when will be the next meeting."

"Next meeting? About?" Aseer scratches her forehead.

"About you know, " She's about to continue but her grey eyes cast me a look. "You know, things." She looks away as she tries to convey my mother her message through coded words.