Chapter Thirty Eight: I Needed You, Then. So, I Will Need You, Always.

{Dedicated to @ShutUpAndCoffee because she is not only an amazing writer, but she is the most down-to-earth and polite girl I've ever met here....! You guys should check out her books....'Not That Interested' and 'Don't Remind Me'. Both of them are exotically written, and just beautiful. And while reading, you will fall in love with this awesome author! Love you! <3} 

"Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living ahlone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself you tasted as many as you could."– Louise Erdrich

Chapter Thirty Eight

I Needed You, Then. So, I Will Need You, Always.

(Maahirah)

When I open my eyes, I'm lying on the bed. All around me is the shade of white. White tiles. White ceilings. White walls. And, when I sit up and sweep a look at my body, I'm wearing a white hospital gown. An IV is stick on my hand but there is nothing going through it.

How did I end up here? What am I doing here?

I put my bare feet on the cold floor. My heart beating fast as the eerie silence around me scares me.

I walk slowly towards the door and push it open. And, suddenly, I'm hearing voices. Everyone is shouting, yelling and running around. Nurses behind the doctors with clipboards in their hands. Nurses pushing the patients on wheelchair around. Paramedics rushing in with patients on stretchers. The whole place resembles a mad house. I push my hair behind my ear, and trudge forward.

A doctor pushes past me. An attendant scowls at me, but doesn't say anything. I mean, isn't she supposed to ask me what am I doing out of the bed since I was a patient?

I turn around the corner and it's then I hear some whispers behind me.

"She doesn't have much time left. I've her son-in-law's consent on the form, and we are ready to do everything we can to save her."

I whirl around. A doctor and Destiny are standing face-to-face behind me and talking in hushed tones. Destiny's face is blotched red while the doctor's grim. Doctors are like that always. They act sympathetic, make gloomy expressions and might act to be saddened by the death of their patient, but once they are out of the hospital's vicinity, they forget their failed cases and go on with their lives.

We all move on because we have to, but, doctors' move on with their own choice.

Destiny spins on her heels and follows the doctor. I don't know whether she has seen me or not but I tread on behind her as quietly as I can.

They round the corner and enter the Oncology Department. The doctor goes in the operation theatre while Destiny walks up to Aayan, who is sitting on the waiting chair with his head in his hands.

"Aayan," She sits next to him. "The doctor will do everything he can."

He looks at her. His eyes bloodshot red. "What will I say to Maahirah? That I couldn't save her?"

"Aayan, we have no say in this. And, it is not your fault!"

"Say, me what?" I make myself visible.