Chapter Thirty Seven: Being Helpless

Dedicated to Enchanted_Hopes to you for your beautiful comments and your wonderful support. You've no idea how your comments cheer me up, and how they make up my days. I've nothing to give you except my prayers that are always with you. Stay Happy. Stay Blessed. Stay Beautiful! And, JazakAllahu Khairyn for always being there for me! May you be awarded immensely for this!! <3 <3 <3

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Helplessness is such a rotten feeling. There's nothing you can do about it. Being helpless is like being paralyzed. It's sickness. The cure calls for a monumental effort to stand up and start walking somewhere, anywhere. But that takes some doing."
―Chuck Barris.

Isn't this quote just true <3

Chapter Thirty Seven

Being Helpless

(Maahirah)

She tells a joke, I laugh.

I see her smile, it makes me smile.

She recalls my stupid, early teen days, instead of feeling embarrassed, I guffaw along with her.

She reminisces with a glint in her eyes, I just stare at her beautiful face.

She rambles on about her celebrity crush, while I try keeping my mouth straight so that it won't break into a grin.

She listens when I vent out my anger....She comforts me when I'm low.....She holds my broken pieces together when they have been shattered by this world.......She pulls me out of the dumps......She makes me see the life through her laugh, her tears, through her.......She has been so much for me that I know that I'll never ever be able to repay her, her my best friend.

"Maahirah," A voice so close to me, yet to my mind it seems far so I don't think it's important for me to reply.

You see, life has its fair way of showing you the importance of someone, which you only realize when they are snatched away. It's not like I didn't value Fadiya, but, I admit, that the past few weeks had formed a glitch in our relationship. Somehow, I think, I've already lost Fadiya....

"Maahirah," This time a little louder as I jump. My head bangs against his and he curses.

I barely notice the pain.Aayan's eyes find mine and instantly they soften as they see tears glittering in them. I break the gaze, embarrassed.

Embarrassed for always breaking down in front of him. Embarrassed because he's always there to witness my low-life, pathetic tears. Besides, I'm embaraassed because he never says anything about my tear glands working way too high since the last few hours, instead, he comforts me more.

Besides me and Aayan, Haaziq, Haazim, Destiny, Faith, Jarred and Julie are present seated on the metal chairs. Fakir is seating on the floor across the ICU door, his head in his hand, and his lips moving in silent prayers. Inayah is sitting beside her older brother. Her head on his shoulder as if she's consoling him just by being next to him.

A hand creeps around my wrist before it finally grasps my palm and gives it a squeeze. Again, I look Aayan in his eyes, and again, I look away as the tears finally spill onto my cheeks.

He pulls me into him, pressing my shoulders against his, and rubbing my back as if to pacify me.

"She'll pull through, won't she?" My voice quivers as I ask him.