Chapter Seventeen: Maze Of Confusion

{Dedicated to@xx_smiley for reading and for leaving beautiful comments on every chapter. I hope you continue reading and voting and commenting!!:)}

The cover is designed by @muslimah_1432. She’s an amazing person and an expert in making covers. We both are working on her story ‘Curious’. Check it out!!:)

X_________________________X

"The funny thing about life is that it makes you meet new people, and they come and go from your life. And, soon enough, they are part of your mind, in the form of memories. Some memories retain, while others take a blurred form like the silvery moon reflecting in water." Me.

Chapter Seventeen

Maze of Confusion

(Maahirah Furqaan)

"Mommy! Mommy!" I trudge down the stairs. My boots make a loud thud kind of noise when I jump on the wooden floor, escaping the last two steps.

"Maahirah!? What's wrong?" Mom rushes out of the kitchen, with a ladle in her hand."Is everything all right??" She frowns as she rubs her forehead with her fingers.

I barely listen to her."Mommy, it's Gramps!" I wave the house cordless phone in the air. "He's coming tomorrow!!" Excitement etching from my every word.

Mom rolls her eyes, and walks back into the kitchen."Impossible!"

I scowl. Jeez, Mom at least feel my happiness. "Gramps never tells a lie, Mom! He’ very true to his words" I grudgingly follow her.

Mom stirs the ladle in the pot that is placed on the burning stove."I talked to Abu today, and he didn’t mention anything as such!"

I sit in the stool, and prop my elbows on the counter, and place my cheeks on my palms."Abu? That's so weird name. What does it mean?"

She turns to face me."It means father."

"But Gramps isn't your Dad. He's my father's father."

"Since I'm married to your Dad, his father is mine too!"

"Jeez, Urdu is so strange!"

"Do you," She places her hands on her hip."Want me to tell out all about the beauty of this language, and Pakistan, too, again!?"

I jump down from the stool, and raise my hands as to defend myself from my mother."Gee, Mom, I remember it all too well. You know what, I recall leaving my homework, I'm going to do it, right now instead of completing after dinner." Lie. I'm not a procrastinator.  I do my work before hand.

Just as I'm about to exit, Mom calls out."By the way, I was fooling around. Gramps is coming today!"

I ball my fists."God Mom!"

But the giddy feelings bubbling inside me couldn't be ignored. I start bouncing up and down on my boots, and I let it out a yell, "Yaay!"

"Maahirah, if I here you yelling or shouting again, I'll not take you to pick Gramps up from the airport!"

"Sorry," I mumble an apology.

Mom's so boring.

*********************