[FS]: Chapter Twenty: Only ⅓ Will Come Out Alive

VOTE

AND COMMENT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN because this chapter is 20 pages on Word. I'll appreciate the feedback.

And, also there is slight swearing, I had no intention of using them, but it had to be done and you'll find out why.

******************

Chapter Twenty

Only ⅓ Will Come Out Alive

(Maahirah)

Whenever we have the big exams at school -- (whether it is a pop-quiz, test, presentation or a report on a project or THE FINALS) -- I'll spend the day before the exam, making sure that I complete my revision before seven in the evening and to sleep by ten o'clock and in between I'll spend worrying about the impending exam. I'll fret over it and keep on thinking that I don't know anything. I can't swallow down the food and I'll get angry at whatever any of my family members had to say. Then huffing and puffing I'll crawl into the bed. Surprisingly, I'll sleep within an hour.

The next day, I'll rise early way before the dawn, fresh as a cane and completely anxious free. I'll do my revision carefully and calmly and on reaching school, I'll plaster a small and a brave façade and greet everyone. Even though, upon entering school, my heart will go frenzy and the nervousness kicks in. I throw that at side and answer whatever query someone comes and asks me.

But right now, as we stand outside the caved Hall with Johns looking at us; or, more specifically at my fear-stricken expressions. I can hear the air carrying the voices of people from the Hall.

"Maahirah?" Aayan lightly touches my arm.

I glance at him. Biting my lip, I remark. "I'm fine. Can we go in now?"

Johns pushes the door and steps in. Just as I'm about to follow him, Aayan grabs on my wrist and makes me twirl around to face him.

"You can do it, Maahirah."

I swallow down my saliva. "I don't trust myself as much as I trust you so with you by side, I know I'll definitely be okay."

When we enter the Hall, everybody goes silent. The lanterns burning in the Hall, sends off hues of orange and yellow glow on their faces. This part of the cave is just in square.

Aayan looks at Johns, who then takes up the responsibility of introducing us.

"This is Aayan Aslam and his wife, Maahirah." He says quietly.

At once thirty something pair of eyes analyze us. Some of them look at us with their jaws dropped and some wide-eyed and some with a scowl. And within few seconds, they start speaking, yelling and shouting profanities at us.

I recoil back immediately at the anger that radiates off from them.

"How could you two go in hiding?"

"How dare you show your faces now?"

"We're not going to believe them!"

"We're not siding with them."

"How can we trust them!"

"Losers."

"Freaking barbarians "

"ENOUGH!!" A voice breaks in. The small crowd breaks in from the center. And, a woman walks to the front. Beside me, Aayan inhales sharply. I don't have the second to glance at him because she is in full view now and I feel my heart beat accelerating.