Chapter Twenty Four: An Ambush At Night

A surprise in this chapter!!! ;) #ABigOne

<Dedicated to @ScareltReturn for her wonderful comments and precious votes!!>

X_________________X

The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of those depths. -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Chapter Twenty Four

An Ambush At Night

(Maahirah Furqaan)

Something trickles my eyes. Normally, I should have had open my eyes, but instead I perch them tightly shut.

I'm restless as I toss and turn around the bed. Unable to bear it, I slowly open my eyes and immediately regret it, as stream of bright light greets me. I hiss.

My whole body is sore and numb which causes me to dig deeper into the duvet. Just as I'm getting comfortable, a loud drum-beat is blaring in the room. This isn't like the alarm for the wakeup call, but this time it is different.

Too loud and it sort of gives the danger vibe.

The blaring continues and I quickly jump off the bed. As soon as I do this, my ankle tangles around the sheet and I trip on my own feet. Uttering a low moan, I grab my hijab off the table and draping it around my head; I untangle the sheet, standing up.

Pulling the door open, I witness a different scene. My eyes nearly bulge out.

Everyone, dressed in night gowns, is running towards the 'Exit' sign. I stumble back when a girl in braided hair, runs past me.

"Hurry people. Go to the Hidings." Destiny's voice reaches my ear.

"Please, carry on." Destiny yells.

I follow the people running towards an exit sign. Near the door, Destiny is guiding people through it. I pause at the corner, watching as the last round of people has passes through the gate.

I open my mouth to ask her what is going on when she turns around, lifting the glass and presses the switch, and the alarm instantly dies off.

"Listen, Maahirah. There is no time for explanation so just do what I say. Go on the level five through the elevator. Turn right when you exit the lift and in that corridor you will find a latch at the end of the hallway. It's hidden behind curtains. Lift the latch and pull the handle down. It will unlock the main gate. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Now. Go."

Once again, she doesn't give me a chance to ask questions as she scurries away to the left. I shake my head.

What the heck is going on?

The elevator is right across from me, and I take no chance in thinking twice. I run towards the lift. Pressing the button, I tap my shoes impatiently on the floor. As soon as I hear the ding, the doors open, I get in. I continuously press 'Level 5' and stop only when the doors shut.

Those fifteen seconds have been the most torturous seconds of my life. I'm biting my lip, Tapping my shoes. Bobbing my head. I'm doing all the traits I've of nervousness.

Once out of the cage, I turn left, according to Destiny's instructions. The sound of my boots echoes down the hall and reverberates back into my ears. The increased heart beat makes it more difficult to concentrate on my task.