Chapter Thirty Four: Do I Have To Lose You Too?

RECAP

"I will do all my best to set Justin free as long as you promise to stay out of it." I declare.

She thinks for a while. "I will promise to stay out of it. But, I won't promise to not help you. I will help you."

I nod. She won't have any idea about what I'm up to. Or maybe she will.

My phone rings as she opens her mouth to say something. I look at the caller's ID. Fakhir.

I frown at it. Swiping it, I bring my phone to my ear.

"Hello."

"Aayan. Mum." He wheezes.

***********

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." Jim Morrison.

Chapter Thirty Four

Do I've To Lose You Too?

(Maahirah)

Before a single word can leave my lips, Aayan gives me a brief look, and then, quickly spuns around his heels, opening the door, he rushes out -- leaving me behind with unanswered questions.

Anger surges in my veins at his extreme rudeness. My first instinct is to let him deal with whatever problems he has, but, then, I don't know, what clicks in my mind, and I find myself following him.

Even though, I'm late in trailing behind him. However, a vague nagging tells me where exactly he headed.

Elton Local Hospital.

My heart beats wildly in my chest by the time I push through the gate and run to the ICU room where Ruqayya, my mother-in-law has been for about a week.

When I open the door, and set my foot in, I thank Allah for the clogged nose due to the cold I had.

Everyone has surrounded the bed. The people who know her, who adore her, who care for her -- all are here. I stay glued to the door, afraid of what will meet my eyes.

Low mutterings go on on and my ears to catch on the words. The more I focused, the more it gets inaudible.

"Maahirah." Destiny calls me out. And, then everyone's looking at me. Self-conscious, I only cast a look at Destiny.

She beckons me to come forward. Pained expressions laced across her face. I walk, slowly as the crowd breaks allowing me to walk through.

Hope and Mr.Brackson nod glumly at me. They stand across the bed. I gasp when suddenly Ruqayya grabs my wrist.

I put my head down to glance at her. My breathe hitches in as I take in her expression. The severity of pain can be easily explained by just gazing at her. Subhan'Allah even then there is a beautiful smile on her face and her face, despite the burning pain, glistens with Noor.

My eyes pool up with tears, and I look away -- ashamed of my tears.

"Maahirah,...don't cry...child..." She rasps for air at every word. "My time in.....this world is done....is over... However, I can't....leave without...seeing the two of you...happy..." She
coughs and sputum pours out.

"Mum.." Aayan pleads.

"Hush, child...let me speak.....work out.....your differences....fights happen...resolve them before...they are severe.....your marraige was rushed...I understand.....but...I hope you two...." She coughs and this time blood sprouts out. Her eyelids drop slowly and gently, almost as if she is falling in a deep sleep, but this time, forever.