29

September 3, 1990

Elodie's first day of second year started today. Imogen was already in the Great Hall with Cedric, while the twins were unexpectedly outside the barrels, waiting for Elodie.

"Come to stalk me?" Elodie asked, finding them leaning against the outside wall. George laughed and nudged Fred. "No, we wanted to walk with you to the Hall." Fred said. Him and George both held their arms out, and Elodie wrapped her own around both of them. They entered the Great Hall like that, and then departed when they needed to sit at their assigned house-tables.

"What a nice entrance." Imogen said, laughing at her friends walking in connected. Elodie replied with a laugh, grabbing a piece of toast. "That's it? Just toast?" Cedric asked. Elodie nodded, holding her stomach dramatically. "Yes, because I'm to nervous to eat anything else today." She said, pretending to be out of breath.

"Oh eat your toast, El." Imogen said.

"No." Elodie said, placing it back on her plate.

"Why?" Imogen asked.

"You're making fun of me." Elodie said, pretending to pout.

Imogen grabbed it, and placed it in Elodie's mouth. The girls, along with Cedric, began to laugh.

"What's your first class?" Elodie asked, pulling out her parchment. "Transfiguration, you?" "Me too!" Elodie and Imogen got excited as they finally had their first class together. On Mondays, of course. But, still better than nothing. "And second?" Imogen asked. "Double charms." "Herbology."

"Third?" "Herbology." "Ugh I have charms."
Elodie and Imogen were trying to discuss their schedules, when Elodie remembered her last class.
"I have astronomy at midnight. Please tell me you do to." "Yes!" Imogen said, holding her parchment next to Elodie to compare classes.

The girls were on their way to Transfiguration, and Elodie had the book in hand that Mcgonagall slipped to her last year. Elodie thought her mom had bought her the new textbook, and didn't think it was something that should be hidden to other students.

The students lined up around the classroom, waiting for Mcgonagall to open the door. As Mcgonagall did so, she saw the book in Elodie's hands. She widened her eyes, and made Elodie stay back. She closed the classroom door, making sure no one was listening in.

"Good morning, Ms.Jian. I hope you had a nice long break. That book in your hands must be hidden from the other students at once." Mcgonagall said, pointing to the book with her wand.
"I didn't know, I thought everyone had this book?" Elodie said, looking up at the professor. All Mcgonagall could do was smile. "Yes well, hurry inside. There should be a textbook on the shelf by your seat." She said, opening the door for the small hufflepuff.

Elodie took her seat, waiting for her lesson to start.

Classes were now over, and it was lunch. Elodie only had four classes each day, maybe a few extras if she had chosen to take them.
"So. What brilliant classes is Elodie Jian taking this year?" George asked, walking up to her side, Fred doing the same on the opposite.

Elodie let out a laugh, and shook her head. "Well, I've decided to-" "Boooooring!" The twins said in unison. Elodie took both of her hands and shoved them, making her way to the Hufflepuff table. She looked back, finding them starting at her with a fake disgusted look, and she laughed, blowing them a kiss.

"Oh good there's chicken." Elodie said, sitting down and grabbing her chicken wings. "Hi El." Imogen said. "Sorry, hi Gen." Elodie said, giggling.

"Oi! Mails here." Cedric said, pointing up at all the owls swooping in to drop off the mail to students and teachers. Elodie saw the familiar brown owl, and she held her hands out. Yvannah's owl had dropped off a letter. Elodie smiled brightly, but when she read the sentence under the greeting, her smile and stomach both dropped.

"Dear Flower,

I miss you already! Come home now, okay? I had some news for you.. I didn't know how you would handle it, and I wish I could've told you later, but please don't let this affect your studies.

Your father and his new wife had just had their baby. It's another girl, and your dad is livid. You now have a half-sister. I'm not sure about her name, or the exact date she was born. All I know is that they have been fighting because of her gender. But, the woman already has a son a few years younger than you. So he stepped in and took a favorite to the little boy.

Anyways, I love you, doll. Study hard for me. Maybe someday you could meet this new sibling. If you don't, I understand 101%.

-Mother dearest x"

Elodie slipped the note back into the envelope, and put her head down. "Give." Imogen said, holding out her hand. Without picking her head up, she held the letter up. Imogen took it, and began to read it.

"Oh my Merlin, El. What are you going to do?" Imogen asked. Elodie lifted her head. "I don't know. There's nothing I can do, can I?" Elodie asked. Imogen shrugged. "What is it?" Cedric asked. "I have a little sister." Elodie said. "Isn't that a good thing? Congrats!" Cedric said, reaching over the table to pat her shoulder.

"No, Ced. Her father had an affair." Imogen said. His smile fell, the same way Elodie's did. "I'm so-" Cedric tried to apologize, but Elodie just smiled at them. "I have a little sister." Elodie said, this time smiling at the thought. "What do you think she looks like?" Elodie added. "Reckon she looks like you, Ellie?" Imogen asked, trying to get on her level of excitement. "Maybe! But, I guess I'll never really know." Elodie said, slowly slouching, frown forming again. "Hey, hey. It's okay! You'll meet her." Imogen said in defense.

After lunch, Elodie went to talk to Dumbledore.
His owl staircase spun, revealing the entry way. She stepped in, and it spun right back up, heading to his office.

Elodie knocked, and the door opened. "I knew you'd be coming, Elodie." He said, motioning for her to sit down. "Congrats on your sister, by the way." He said, smiling at her. She met his eyes, and smiled sadly. "Why did you accept me? I'm American, with a ton of issues, clearly. And my dad is british, yes, but he isn't even my dad anymore, really. And I have a half-sister now who might or might not attend Hogwarts." Elodie ranted. He just let her. He let her pace, and let it out. She finally sat down, tears in her eyes, but not letting them fall.

"I guarantee, Elodie, that since your sister still lives in America, she will be attending Ilvermorny in eleven years. Even if she were to attend here, you would be graduated." Dumbledore assured her. She now smiled, a little wider than the sad smile that formed earlier.

"Yes, I accepted an American. Because your family has attended Hogwarts for many centuries. Your mom wasn't going to be accepted, until she moved to England." He added. She smiled, and thanked him.

Elodie had her reassurance for the day, and went on with her usual routines.