46

They turned their heads towards Ron, not believing what he just said.

The game went on, and more and more explosions went on. All Elodie did was go for a walk. How'd she end up here?

"CASTLE TO E4!" Ron yelled. He yelled for each piece to move, turn by turn. The white pieces were also breaking, Elodie smiling each time one got destroyed. "PAWN TO C3!"

Elodie, Ron, Harry, and Hermione all waited for them to be moved. What would happen if they were to cross paths with a white? Elodie didn't want to find out, at all.

The queen destroyed the piece right in front of Elodie, making her scream out loud and ducking.

It slowly turned its way towards Ron, waiting for his next move. Harry looked around, realizing what was about to go down. "Wait a minute.." Harry yelled, looking up at Ron with a worried expression. "You understand right, Harry. Once I make my move, the queen will take me. Then you're free to check the king." Ron said. "NO! RON NO!" Elodie yelled. "What is it?" Hermione asked. "He's going to sacrifice himself." Harry said. "No! You can't!" Hermione yelled. "There must be another way!" Elodie said. "Do you wanna stop Snape from stealing that stone, or not?" Ron said. Elodie and Hermione looked sympathetic. "Harry, you're the one that has to go on. You know it! Not me, Not Elodie, Not Hermione, You!" Ron said. Harry nodded. Everyone took a deep breath in. "Knight to H3!" Ron said, and as he held onto the piece, it started moving across the board. His piece moved in front of the king, and the queen turned, moving towards him. A worried look went straight to Ron's face. Maybe even a little bit of regret, too.

The queen stopped in front of him, taking her sword out and smashing right through the horse. Ron's piece exploded, making him fly off and hit the ground.

"RON!" Harry yelled, dragging his name. Hermione was about to run over to him. "NO! Don't move. Don't forget, we're still playing." Elodie yelled.

Harry started walking across the board, walking to the king. "Checkmate." Harry said, and the king dropped its sword. Just as they won the game, Elodie and Hermione ran straight to Ron.

"Take care of Ron. Then go to the owlery and send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right, I have to go on." Harry said. Elodie nodded, giving Harry a hug. "You'll be okay, Harry. You're a great wizard, you really are." Hermione said. Elodie let go, smiling at him and agreeing with what Hermione said. "Not as good as you two." Harry said. "Ha. Me? Books, cleverness. There are more important things. Friendship, and bravery." Hermione said. "And Harry, be careful." Elodie added. Harry nodded, and walked towards the door. Elodie and Hermione tried to pick Ron up, holding his body up with all of their strength.

"Let's go, we need to go tell Dumbledore. I feel like Harry needs him now before anything happens rather than later." Elodie said. Hermione nodded, and they walked an unconscious Ron back towards the actual part of the castle.

Harry walked down a flight of stairs, it being a little bit darker than the chess room. As he got closer to the bottom, he ached in pain, holding up his hand to soothe his scar. He stopped in his tracks, noticing it wasn't Snape.

"You?" Harry said. The man turned around, and Professor Quirell turned to meet Harry's eyes. "No! It can't be!" Harry said. "Snape! He was the on-" Harry was cut off by Quirell. "Yes. He does seem the type, doesn't he?" Quirrell said. "Next to him, who would suspect p-p-poor st-st-stuttery P-p-professor Q-Q-Quirrell." Quirell said, faking his stutter and making his voice a higher pitch. "But..during that day, during the quidditch match, Snape tried to kill me!" Harry said. "Mmm no dear boy. I tried to kill you! And trust me, if Snape's cloak hadn't broken my eye contact I would've succeeded! Even with Snape muttering his little counter-curse." Quirell said.