two

Y/N silently followed Bucky, never once losing her grip on his hand. He took her to a small park near her and Steve's apartment. Guiding her to a small under a large tree, he sat down before helping her sit beside him.

"Why here?" She quietly asked, looking around. No one was at the park. Probably because it was late at night.

"I knew we'd be alone," Bucky answered, staring at Y/N as she continued to look around. "I'm sorry, Y/N." He gently moved some hair behind her ear. "I should have told you sooner..."

"Yeah. You should have... What am I suppose to do with you gone? How am I suppose to stop Stevie from getting into any fights? Or.. what if he does get recruited? Am I suppose to just go to work and act like I'm not worried to death about the two of you?" Tears formed in her eyes again. "I can't-" She stopped before her voice broke anymore. Y/N looked down, playing with her dress as she tried to compose herself. "I can't live without you two..."

Bucky's heart broke at the sight of Y/N like this. He didn't want to be the cause of any of her pain. But here he was, the night before getting shipped off, doing just that. He didn't know how she would respond. How should she have? Y/N, Steve, and himself had been attached at the hip since they had meet as kids. Of course she would be upset with him. He reached over and carefully took her hands from her lap.

"I promise that I'll come back to you... You and Steve," Bucky stated with conviction.

Y/N looked at him, a tear rolling down her face. "You can't promise that, Buck." She shook her head.

"Yes I can." He moved closer. "I promise that I'll come back to you. That no matter what happens, I'll find my way home to you."

"To me and the million other girls you've promised that to."

"No." Bucky set a hand on her cheek, making sure they were looking in each other in the eye. "You're the only gal I've made that promise to." Looking in his eyes, Y/n knew that he was telling the truth. "And I can show you that I mean it."

He moved in slowly, making sure that he wasn't doing anything that she didn't want. The moment their lips met, she tensed. He immediately noticed and began pulling back. But before he could get very far, her hands were on his neck, pulling him back in. She hadn't meant to tense, she had just never kissed anyone before. Once she had pulled him in, Bucky knew that she was okay with it. He wrapped his arms around to her back, pulling her so near that she was practically on his lap. Both of them at waited far too long for this moment. When they pulled away, Y/N started crying. She held onto Bucky, sobbing into his neck.

"Shh..." He cooed, rocking her in his arms. "It's alright... Everything's going to be fine..." He gently ran his fingers through her hair.

"Why'd you kiss me?" She sobbed. "You're leaving tomorrow... Why give me hope? Why lead me on like that?"

"I'm not trying to lead you on, doll... I just shouldn't have waited so long to show you how I feel... To tell you that I-"

"Don't!" She quickly stopped him, putting a hand to his mouth. "Don't say it..." She whimpered. "Cause if you say it, and then don't come back... I don't know what I'll do..."

"Okay." He nodded understandably. "Okay..." He put his hands on either sides of her face, wiping of her tears gently. "I'm going to promise you this, doll... That I won't say those words until I come back. I promise you that I will be coming back. Just so that I can tell you how I feel and show you."

"James-"

"Oh, the first name," he chuckled. "Now I'm in trouble."

She put a hand on his cheek. "You can't make promises that you don't have any control over whether you keep them or not."

He took his had off her cheek and grabbed hers that was resting on his cheek. "Still going to promise you this." He moved her hand, kissing the palm of it. "I'm coming home to you, doll. Whatever it takes."