thirty-three

Pepper, Tony, and Y/N were back at the mansion in no time. They all went straight to bed. Though both Y/N and Tony will admit that they didn't get much sleep. They both stared at their bedroom ceilings, worried about each other. In the morning, instead of working with Pepper or watching Tony in the workshop, Y/N spent the morning taking her anger out on Tony's exercise equipment.

"Miss Barnes," JARVIS interrupted her.

"Yes?" She huffed, still lifting weights.

"You're needed down in the workshop."

"Is someone dying?" JARVIS went silent. Y/N put her weights down and looked up at the ceiling. "J, is someone dying?"

"It's for a celebration."

"Celebration? What for?"

"Just get down here already," Tony's voice come over the intercom.

Y/N picked up her water bottle, taking a swig as she headed down stairs. Both Pepper and Tony were already in the workshop. Y/N entered her password and walked in. She noticed that Tony was pouring champagne.

"What are we celebrating?" Y/N asked.

"Tony..." Pepper stammered, clearly in some sort of shock. "Tony is appointing me CEO."

"What?" Y/N's eyes grew wide. She turned to look at Tony. "Are you serious?"

"As serious as ever. Here." Tony responded, before handing Y/N a glass. "Cheers." The three of them tapped their glasses together before taking a drink.

"Congratulations Pepper," Y/N smiled at the other woman. "You deserve it."

"Thanks," Pepper grinned. "I better get started on all the paperwork." She quickly finished her drink and stood up. "Tony, are you sure?"

"Yes. But why don't you stay and celebrate a little longer?"

"Can't. I have other things to do. I'll see you two later."

Tony waited until Pepper was gone to speak up. "I debating on giving it to you, you know?"

"What?" Y/N was extremely confused. "Why?"

"Because I know that you could handle it." Tony reached out and grabbed her scarred hand. He hadn't grabbed her hand in so long, Y/N realized that she was missing it. "But then I thought more on it and realized that you wouldn't want it."

"You're giving up your company." He did have the right to, he was dying. It hurt her to even think about it.

"Not technically. I still own it, Pepper will just be running it." He rubbed his thumb along the backside of her hand. "How'd you sleep last night?" He asked softly, looking at her hand.

"Didn't."

"Why didn't you come to me?"

"Why did you come to me? I know you didn't sleep either. Plus," Y/N pulled her hand out of Tony's grip, "you're my boss."

"Y/N... please tell me we're not back to that."

"We shouldn't have ever left it. And until you tell me what's up, it just has to be this way." Y/N's phone buzzed. She quickly got it out and noticed a message from Coulson. She stood up. "I've got to go handle something. Thanks for the champagne, Mr. Stark."

"Y/N..." Tony stood up, trying to stop her.

"I'll see you later, Mr. Stark," Y/N responded curtly, exiting the workshop and heading upstairs.

She went out back and opened the message. 'Fury's sending someone in to help,' she read in her mind. 'Trust it and don't blow your cover.' Y/N read it again, confused. What the hell was the plan? And why wasn't she being more involved with it?